Board Activities and Meetings
Minutes | Board Technical Committee (BTC) Meeting |
20 April 2022
Board Member and Liaison Attendees: Harald Alvestrand, Alan Barrett, Edmon Chung, James Galvin, Akinori Maemura, Kaveh Ranjbar (Chair), Patricio Poblete, and Katrina Sataki
Other Board Members and Liaisons Present: Avri Doria and Manal Ismail
ICANN Organization Attendees: Adiel Akplogan (Vice President for Technical Engagement), Franco Carrasco (Board Operations Specialist), Steve Conte (Director, IROS Operations), John Crain (SVP and Chief Technology Officer), Kinga Kowalcyzk (Administrative Assistant), Matt Larson (VP, Research), Wendy Profit (Board Operations Senior Manager), Erika Randall (Associate General Counsel), Carlos Reyes (Strategic Policy Planning Director - RSSAC & ASO Support), Samaneh Tajalizadehkhoob (Principal Security, Stability, and Resiliency Specialist), and Sarah Zagha (Counsel)
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken, and actions identified:
BTC Update Session with the Name Collision Analysis Project (NCAP) DG Admin Co-Chairs: Progress on Study 2 – The Committee received an update on the NCAP work from James Galvin. He noted that Study 2 is progressing well. The public comment period has closed on the case study report for .CORP, .HOME, .MAIL, .LAN, .LOCAL, and .INTERNAL, as well as on the report on a perspective study of DNS queries.
It was also reported in parallel that research for the root cause analysis for the name collision reports ICANN received is being conducted. As well, the Discussion Group continues to work on responding to the Board's questions outlined in Board Resolution 2017.11.02.30, and to how to proceed on providing advice for risk assessments for name collisions going forward. The work product for Study 2, which will contain responses to the Board's questions, was targeted for June 2022, but there may be some delay, as the discussions are robust.
- Approval of Pending Committee Meeting's Report – There was no pending Committee Meeting's report to approve.
Action Items Review – The Committee Chair established the agenda for the meeting. An update to two previous action items was given as noted below.
- The action item of the Chair to work with OCTO to create a briefing/presentation for the Committee (and ICANN Board) on Public Ledger Based Name Services/ alternate name spaces is now complete. There is a session that is currently being planned with the Board during the Board Workshop regarding this item.
- The action item of contacting IAB and IETF on how ICANN plans to implement SSAC113 is still open. Harald Alvestrand has had discussions, but a formal communication is still pending.
Domain Security Facilitation Initiative (DSFI) -Technical Study Group (TSG) Report and Next Steps – ICANN org's SVP and Chief Technology Officer led the discussion regarding the DSFI - TSG Report and the recommendations. He noted that ICANN org is reviewing the twelve recommendations in the TSG's report to ICANN org's President and CEO in order to ensure understanding of the recommendations. The next step of the process is to consult with TSG members on their recommendations in order to confirm ICANN org has understood them in full. ICANN org will then evaluate the recommendations and determine whether they can be implemented. The community will be then consulted, and finally the recommendations will be considered by the President and CEO for implementation. The aim is to have the final recommendations to ICANN org's President and CEO by June 2022 for discussion with the ICANN Board.
- Feature this topic during the Priority Project Updates segment of subsequent BTC meetings, with regular updates to be given by OCTO.
Follow Up Discussion on Blockchain Based Name Service – The Chair began the discussion by encouraging BTC members to ask any questions related to this issue (such as its technicalities) that they may have to ICANN org and the OCTO team. It was noted that, as part of the OCTO series, the OCTO team has drafted a document on alternate namespaces. The document addresses the operational and technical aspects and issues of alternate namespaces. This document will be released within the coming days. The Chair noted that the Committee will need to form a strategy as to how to approach this issue, and to form the grounds with which to have discussions regarding this issue.
- The topic of provisioning domains within the blockchain/name collisions to be included on the Board Workshop agenda.
Priority Project Updates – The Committee received an update on the following projects:
- Root Zone Management Study: ICANN org members reported that the draft study was completed, and it is currently out for public comment. The public comment period closes on Monday, 25 April 2022. Once the staff report is completed, the conclusion will be published, most likely by the end of June 2022.
- IMRS Strategy: ICANN org members reported that OCTO has a draft of the revision of the IMRS strategy, OCTO-16. Publication is expected for the end of June 2022.
- Root Server System Governance Working Group (RSS-GWG): ICANN org members supporting the RSS-GWG gave a high-level update on the status of the work. Through correspondence taking place between December 2021 and February 2022 between the ICANN Board and GWG Chair, the GWG agreed to expand its membership to include representatives from every root server operator. Furthermore, the GWG confirmed that it will continue to require consensus for all its decision-making. The GWG also proposed a new work plan, which was encouraged by the ICANN Board. Subsequent to this correspondence, the GWG has welcomed nine new members from root zone operators and one new member from the ccTLD registries. The GWG also conducted its annual election process for the chair role, and Brad Verd of Verisign has been elected to Chair, replacing Ted Hardie, who previously announced that he will be stepping down. ICANN org continues to support the work of the GWG, and a call is scheduled for 21 April 2022 to onboard the new members.
Updates from Technical Liaisons – The Committee received an update from the following Board Technical Liaisons:
- SSAC (James Galvin): The Committee was informed that an addendum to the SAC114 document, which will help clarify SAC114, has been produced and it will be circulated shortly to the Committee, with a copy sent to the Board Advice Register. It was also noted that SSAC has a routing security work party that has been investigating routing security issues and is working on a document that focuses on the space. Once completed, this document will be circulated and subsequently, published by the SSAC. Finally, the Committee was informed that the DS automation work party has been formed to investigate how the DNSSEC is supported in the community. For example, this work party is currently surveying on what the registries and registrars are doing in regard to supporting the maintenance of DNSSEC keys within the registries.
- RSSAC (Kaveh Ranjbar): No significant updates to report.
- Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) (Harald Alvestrand): The Committee was provided with information about the IETF meeting. It was noted that during the meeting, there was an attempt to declare that SNI encryption should be abandoned.
- Any Other Business – The Committee Chair noted that a new meeting cadence plan for the remainder of 2022 has been circulated, after having received no comments to the contrary.
The Chair called the meeting to a close.
Published on 23 May 2022