Board Risk Committee (RC) – Minutes | 5 May 2012

RC Attendees: Steve Crocker, Ray Plzak, R. Ramaraj, Thomas Roessler, Mike Silber, Bruce Tonkin, Suzanne Woolf, and Judith Vazquez

Other Board Attendees: Sébastien Bachollet, Chris Disspain, Bertrand de La Chapelle, Thomas Narten, and George Sadowsky

Staff Attendees: Akram Atallah – Chief Operating Officer; John Jeffrey – General Counsel and Secretary; Jeff Moss – Chief Security Officer; Kurt Pritz – Senior Vice President, Stakeholder Relations; Samantha Eisner, Patrick Jones, Amy Stathos, and Alina Syunkova


The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:

  1. Minutes of Previous Meeting: The RC approved the minutes of its previous meeting.
  2. TAS Glitch Update: Staff provided a report to the RC regarding the glitch in the TAS system that required the system to be taken offline, as well as the work to identify the scope of access to user names and file names of others. The RC discussed potential risk, as well as mitigation efforts. The RC also discussed procurement and security assessments and analysis for current and future programs.
    • Action:
      • Staff to provide information to the RC regarding the identification and proposed mitigation for the short, medium and long range risks related to the TAS Glitch issue and the New gTLD Program.
      • By Prague, staff to provide a proposal on how and when a root cause analysis of the TAS Glitch issue will be completed, for RC review and feedback.
  3. Digital Archery Process for New gTLD: The RC received a report on the testing of the system to determine levels of expected precision, as well as work ongoing to address some of the potential risks that may arise in this process.
    • Action:
      • Staff to provide full risk analysis of the digital archery process for RC review, or a timeline for the production of this analysis, for consideration at the RC's meeting in Prague.
      • Staff to provide report on the RC regarding the accessibility of tools to allow users to efficiently participate in the process.
  4. DNS Resiliency Efforts: Due to time constraints, the RC requested a written report on this item.
    • Action
      • At next RC meeting, staff to provide report on the status of DNS Resiliency Efforts for RC review and consideration.
  5. Planning for Next Meeting: Staff provided a proposal for topics to discuss at the RC meeting in Prague.
    • Action
      • Staff to work in close coordination with the RC to finalize agenda.