Board Activities and Meetings
BGC Attendees: Becky Burr, Ron da Silva, Ihab Osman, Kaveh Ranjbar, León Sánchez, Matthew Shears, and Tripti Sinha (Chair)
Other Board Member Attendees: Avri Doria
ICANN Org Attendees: Michelle Bright (Board Content Coordination Director), Franco Carrasco (Board Operations Specialist), John Jeffrey (General Counsel and Secretary), Vinciane Koenigsfeld (Senior Director, Board Operations), Liz Le (Associate General Counsel), Lisa Saulino (Board Operations Specialist), Jennifer Scott (Senior Counsel), and Amy Stathos (Deputy General Counsel)
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:
- Agenda review and request to add to Any Other Business (AOB) – The Chair reviewed the meeting agenda. There was a request to add an additional item to the agenda for an update on the BGC's small group review of the Delegation of Authority document at the request of the Board Chair. However, the BGC did not have sufficient time to discuss this additional agenda item and will add it to the agenda for its next meeting.
- Review of Prior Action Items – The BGC recapped the action items from the prior meeting and confirmed that the prior action items have been completed.
Review of Revisions to Slating Practice Document – The BGC reviewed and discussed proposed updates to the BGC Practice for Board Engagement In Developing Slate for Board Leadership (Slating Practice document) following consultation with the full Board. The BGC noted that the Slating Practice document should also be updated to address slating related to known Board members at the time of straw polling. The BGC then voted to recommend that the Board approve the proposed changes to the Slating Practice document.
- Action: ICANN org to prepare materials for Board consideration.
Review of Board Member Onboarding – The BGC received and discussed a presentation from ICANN org regarding the draft ICANN Board Onboarding document, which is related to Fiscal Year 2020 (FY20) Board Operational Priority 4.2.2. The document includes information related to the process and timing of onboarding new Board members and the topics included in the onboarding program. The BGC also discussed the complementary nature of, and proposed revisions to, the Board member mentorship program.
- ICANN org to prepare note to Chris Disspain thanking him for his work on the onboarding document.
- ICANN org to circulate the revised Board mentorship program documentation to the BGC.
Review of Board Working Groups and Caucuses – The BGC received and discussed a presentation from ICANN org regarding its review and tracking spreadsheet of existing Board Working Groups and Caucuses. The tracking spreadsheet is intended to be used by the BGC to, among other things, facilitate discussion regarding whether each working group and caucus has a charter, a Board sponsoring committee, and whether the working group or caucus is still relevant or can be retired or combined with another group. The BGC began discussing the information in the tracking spreadsheet as it relates to working groups and proposed revisions. The BGC will continue to discuss the tracking spreadsheet at its next meeting.
- Action: ICANN org to update the tracking spreadsheet of existing Board Working Groups and Caucuses with the BGC's input from today's meeting.
Published on 28 August 2020