Minutes | Board Technical Committee (BTC) Meeting 2 October 2019

Board Member and Liaison Attendees: Harald Alvestrand, Avri Doria, Rafael Lito Ibarra, Akinori Maemura (Chair), Kaveh Ranjbar, and Tripti Sinha.

Board Member with Apologies: Merike Kaeo.

Other Board Members in Attendance: Cherine Chalaby, Ron da Silva and Danko Jevtovic.

ICANN Organization Attendees: Adiel Akplogan (Vice President for Technical Engagement), John Crain (Chief Security, Stability & Resiliency Office), Franco Carrasco (Board Operations Specialist), James Caufield (VP, Risk Management), David Conrad (Chief Technology Officer), Linna Hsii (Counsel), Matt Larson (VP Research, Office of the CTO), David Olive (SVP, Policy Development Support), Erika Randall (Associate General Counsel), and Carlos Reyes (Strategic Policy Planning Director).

The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken, and actions identified:

  1. Name Collision Analysis Project (NCAP) Update – The Committee received an update on the Request for Proposal (RFP) process to select a contractor for Study 1 of the NCAP. ICANN org is in the final phases of engaging the contractor, and the contractor is expected to start work as early as 1 November 2019.

    The Committee engaged in a discussion about the 20 September 2019 letter from the GNSO Council to the Board requesting guidance from the Board concerning its views related to dependencies, if any, between the NCAP and the ongoing policy work of the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Policy Development Process (Sub Pro PDP). The Committee discussed some initial thoughts around the timing of the NCAP study and the implementation of the next round of new gTLDs and the potential paths forward, which included suggesting to the GNSO that the policy could define the categories and the processes, but leave the specifics of what TLDs fit into each category for implementation of the policy. Committee members noted that the path forward may also be shaped by potential policy recommendations on whether applications for new gTLDs must be submitted during a defined window of time or on a rolling basis.

    Committee members also discussed the proposed timing of a response to the GNSO and determined that it would be ideal to have a response prepared by ICANN66 so that the Board's response is not a gating factor for the work of the Sub Pro PDP.

    • Action Item:

      • The Committee to work with the Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO) to prepare a draft response to the GNSO Council by 25 October 2019.
  2. Approval of Minutes – The Committee approved the Minutes of the 6 September 2019 meeting.
  3. Action Items Review – The Committee reviewed the open action items and addressed the following:

    • The Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to engage in further discussion with the Chief Information Officer (CIO) regarding a collaboration-only tool that can live independently from the Information Transparency Platform (ITP): The CTO reported on discussions with the CIO and requested that Committee members identify areas within the existing tools that do not meet their needs. Based on this information, the CTO and CIO will identify requirements that could drive the evaluation of collaboration tools moving forward.
    • The CIO to start a dialogue among the Board members regarding what functionality is missing within its existing suite of tools used for Board collaboration in an effort to bring more efficiency within the Board Committees and Working Groups – the CIO has initiated the process of gathering feedback from the Board and work continues on this open item.
  4. RSSAC037/RSSAC038 Implementation Process Update – The Strategic Policy Planning Director provided the Committee with an update about implementation of RSSAC037 and RSSAC038. The discussion included a review of some of the public comments received during the Evolution of the Root Server System public comment proceeding, and the relevant changes to the implementation plan to address these comments. For example, the Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC) asked to be included as a voting member of the Root Server Governance Working Group (GWG), and the Business Constituency (BC) asked that the Operating Procedures of the GWG be amended to include more specificity around reporting. As a result, both the GWG Charter and Operating Procedures were updated to account for these comments. The updated GWG Charter and Operating Procedures are currently under consideration with the Committee. If the Committee agrees with these changes, the next step would be a potential Board action at ICANN66 in Montréal. If the Board agrees, ICANN org would start the process of convening the GWG and reaching out to the various groups to begin their appointments.
  5. Planning for the Technical Experts Group (TEG)/Technical Liaison Group (TLG) Meeting with the BTC – The CTO reported to the Committee that it has received a set of discussion topics from the Internet Architecture Board (IAB) for discussion during ICANN66 during the joint meeting of the Committee with the TEG and TLG. The CTO indicated that he had not yet received input from others who are proposed to participate in the joint meeting. While the Committee found the topics to be valuable, they hoped to encourage input from other TLG members. The Committee acknowledged the need to continue discussions concerning the proposed coordination structure between the Committee, the TEG and the TLG.
  6. AOB – The Committee Chair extended his congratulations to Adiel Akplogan for being inducted into the Internet Hall of Fame.

The Chair called the meeting to a close.

Published on 21 November 2019