Earlier this year, ICANN decided to move ICANN56 from Panama City, Panama, to Helsinki, Finland, and ICANN57 from San Juan, Puerto Rico, to Hyderabad, India. In response, ICANN´s Global Stakeholder Engagement team drafted a mitigation plan to alleviate the negative consequences for stakeholders in the Latin American and Caribbean (LAC) region.
Rotating the location of ICANN meetings is key to engaging with the local and regional communities around the world. We're working hard to be able to come back to both locations in 2018.
Because the two events were moved, some organizations in our region won't have the opportunity to engage with their communities as originally planned. That's why we've prepared a mitigation plan and engaged with leaders from the LAC region. On 16 June, we presented the final version of the plan to the community in a webinar.
The plan has the five main pillars:
- Local events.Identify key events in the region and provide additional engagement opportunities for our LAC community.
- Regional and global events. Provide additional support for people in the LAC region to attend these events:
- LACNIC/LACNOG – LAC Internet Addresses Registry/LAC Network Operators Group
- LACTLD Workshop – LAC Country Code Top-Level Domain Association Forum
- LAC DNS Forum – LAC Domain Name System Forum
- LAC, Caribbean and Global Internet Governance Forums
- Remote hubs. Organize strategic remote hubs in the region for ICANN57.
- Webinars and read-out sessions. Coordinate webinars leading up to ICANN56 and ICANN57 and read-out sessions afterward to debrief the community on highlights of the meetings.
- Leadership presence. Identify events in the LAC region where the presence of ICANN leadership and experts would benefit the region (e.g., LAC DNS Forum August 2016).
We'll be updating you on the implementation of the mitigation plan, so please stay tuned. Don't hesitate to contact me or our LAC regional team if you have comments or concerns about this plan. We need the community to engage in ICANN´s activities and policy development processes!
Stay up to date on what's going on in the LAC region! I invite you to be a regular visitor to our LAC regional community website, particularly the list of LAC events.
I hope to see you soon!