- On Monday, 2 October 2000 the application period for those seeking to sponsor or operate new TLDs ended. A total of 47 applications were received during the application period. ICANN has posted a list of the applicants and the TLD strings they are requesting.
- ICANN's staff is currently doing an initial review of the applications. This includes:
- Reviewing the applications to ensure they include all the required parts.
- Reviewing requests made by applicants for confidential treatment of the materials they have submitted. This involves ensuring that applicants are not refusing to allow public disclosure of materials they submit, except in cases of legitimate trade-secret information.
- Where an application seeks alternative or multiple TLD strings, verifying that it is a single application (i.e. that all parts of the application apply, without significant variation, to all of the strings).
- Acknowledging receipt of applications.
- We expect to post most non-confidential portions of applications on the ICANN web site on approximately Wednesday, 11 October 2000. This is a delay from the previous goal of Saturday, 7 October 2000 because (a) we received more applications than assumed in establishing that goal and (b) many applicants have made broad claims of confidentiality that should be resolved before full posting.