Position Description [PDF, 77 KB]
ICANN is seeking expressions of interest from persons or organizations to serve as the Independent Objector for the New gTLD Program. The Independent Objector shall act in the public interest when determining whether to file an objection to a given application for a new gTLD.
Part of ICANN's core mission is to preserve the operational security and stability of the Internet while also promoting competition and choice for Internet users. With the upcoming launch of the New generic Top-Level Domain (New gTLD) Program, the Internet community will see the introduction of a number of gTLDs. The program protects certain interests and rights by providing a path for parties to file formal objections to gTLD applications on certain grounds.
One component of the objection process is providing for an Independent Objector (IO) function. The Independent Objector will object to gTLD applications that would be contrary to the public interest if approved. In light of this public interest goal, the IO can file objections on Limited Public Interest and Community grounds:
- Limited Public Interest – The applied-for gTLD string is contrary to generally accepted legal norms of morality and public order that are recognized under international principles of law.
- Community Objection – There is substantial opposition to the gTLD application from a significant portion of the community to which the gTLD string may be explicitly or implicitly targeted.
Candidates for the Independent Objector will describe in their Expressions of Interest how they meet the required or highly desired skills and experience outlined in the attached Position Description [PDF, 77 KB]. Candidates are also asked to submit any additional information they think should be considered when selecting the Independent Objector.
The deadline for Expressions of Interest is 22 December 2011, 23:59 UTC. Expressions of Interest should be submitted to IO@icann.org.
Links to Relevant Information
- New gTLD Program Materials: http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-4-19sep11-en.htm
- Module 3, including Objection Procedures:
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/objection-procedures-clean-19sep11-en.pdf [PDF, 315 KB]
- New gTLD Dispute Resolution Procedure:
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/new-gtld-drp-clean-19sep11-en.pdf [PDF, 128 KB]