During the ICANN meeting in Cartagena, Colombia, the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC), Country Code Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO), Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO), and Number Resource Organization (NRO) adopted the charter for a joint DNS Security and Stability Analysis (DSSA) Working Group. As an update, the respective Advisory Committees (including the Governmental Advisory Committee and the Security and Stability Advisory Committee), Supporting Organizations, their component constituencies and stakeholder groups, are now identifying volunteers to participate in the working group. A wiki is being established at [link to be provided].
The objective of the DSSA-WG is to draw upon the collective expertise of the participating Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees, solicit expert input and advice and report:
- The actual level, frequency and severity of threats to the DNS;
- The current efforts and activities to mitigate these threats to the DNS; and
- The gaps (if any) in the current security response to DNS issues.
If considered feasible and appropriate, the DSSA-WG may identify and report on possible additional risk mitigation activities that it believes would assist in closing any gaps identified under item C above.
Each of the participating Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees has adopted the Charter [PDF, 153 KB] of the Working Group according to its own rules and procedures. There shall be a minimum of one representative from each participating SO and AC. The Working Group shall also approach the technical and security communities, other DNS experts and Computer Emergency Response Teams to seek their participation and expertise. All DSSA-WG participants are expected to be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge or expertise of aspects of the objectives of the DSSA-WG; and
- Commit to actively participate in the activities of the working group on an ongoing and long-term basis.
Interested volunteers are encouraged to contact their respective AC and SO representatives, although staff points of contact listed below can provide more information:
- ALAC – Heidi Ullrich
- ccNSO & NRO – Bart Boswinkel
- GNSO & SSAC – Julie Hedlund