Join us in creating ICANN's new, overarching vision and Five-Year Strategic Plan. Your opinions and perspectives are critical to our process. There are many ways to participate and add your voice to the discussion. Currently, comments are being sought on the Strategy Panels' output.
Beginning in April 2013, ICANN has sought extensive public input on its key challenges and opportunities [PDF, 209 KB] and on the eight strategic areas highlighted by ICANN's Board of Directors. Work and input on related initiatives, such as the Security, Stability & Resiliency Framework, and the Regional Engagement Strategies, are also informing the Strategic Plan. Comments received on Drafts, as well as on the output of the Strategy Panels, will be considered and incorporated, as appropriate, into a Final Draft in June 2014.
We have highlighted past and future key opportunities to participate here:
April, 2013 – Strategy initiative announced at ICANN 46 in Beijing, China with the community invited to participate in the process.
June – September, 2013 &ndash Public comments on ICANN's key challenges and opportunities, as well as its eight strategic areas as highlighted by the ICANN Board of Directors.
July, 2013 – Community discussion and input at ICANN 47 in Durban, South Africa on the challenges and opportunities put forth by the Board of Directors.
October 2013 – January 2014 – Public comments on the Draft Vision, Mission and Focus Areas for ICANN's Five-Year Strategic Plan.
November, 2013 – Community discussion and feedback at ICANN 48 in Buenos Aires, Argentina on the posted Draft Vision, Mission and Focus Areas for ICANN's Five-Year Strategic Plan. Listen to the audio files from Introduction to Strategy Panels Session or the Strategic Planning Session.
February – March 2014 – Strategy Panels publish output for consideration and comment.
April – May 2014 – Public comments on the Draft Five-Year Strategic Plan.
June 2014 – Final version of the Five-Year Strategic Plan submitted to the Board of Directors for action.
More than 40 diverse practitioners, subject matter experts, and thought leaders joined ICANN as members of ICANN's four Strategy Panels to support development of strategic and operational plans. The panels are focused on:
- Identifier Technology Innovation
- Multistakeholder Innovation
- Public Responsibility Framework
- ICANN's Role in the Internet Governance Eco-System
The Strategy Panels will serve as an integral part of a framework for cross-community dialogue on strategic matters. Designed to concentrate on critical strategic areas identified by the community, Board, and staff [PDF, 209 KB], the work of these panels is building on public input being generated to inform the new, overarching vision and five-year strategic plan. Panel recommendations are posted for public comment.
Putting the Five-Year Strategic Plan to use in FY16-20
Beginning with the FY16 annual planning process, the Five-Year Strategic Plan will inform the annual planning process. Additional details on how this will work will be provided when we reach this phase of planning later in 2014, but as a preview this graphic shows at a high level the expected annual planning cycle for FY16-20.
- Synthesis of previous brainstorming discussions & online input [PDF, 209 KB]
- Summary of Comments July – October 2013, listed below by strategic area:
- Summary of Comments on Role Clarity [PDF, 84 KB]
- Summary of Comments on ICANN Community [PDF, 92 KB]
- Summary of Comments on Users [PDF, 56 KB]
- Summary of Comments on Internationalization & Regional Development [PDF, 86 KB]
- Summary of Comments on Internet Governance [PDF, 90 KB]
- Summary of Comments on Security & Stability [PDF, 62 KB]
- Summary of Comments on Operational Excellence [PDF, 68 KB]
- Summary of Comments on Domain Name Industry Engagement [PDF, 70 KB]
- ICANN's current Strategic Plan [PDF, 864 KB]
- ICANN's FY14 Security, Stability & Resiliency Framework [PDF, 5.93 MB]
- ICANN Bylaws – Mission and Core Values
- ICANN Durban Meeting Strategic Planning Session Agenda [PDF, 1.23 MB]
- ICANN Strategy Panels
Questions? Email us.