5 July 2016 23:59 UTC
14 August 2016 23:59 UTC
Staff Report Due
18 August 2016 23:59 UTC
Following the closing of the public comment forum, the Standing Committee on Improvements Implementation (SCI) will review the comments received; revise its recommendations, if deemed appropriate; and submit these to the GNSO Council for approval.
Section I: Description and Explanation
The SCI was established by the GNSO Council on 7 April 2011 as a standing committee of the GNSO, responsible for reviewing and assessing the effective functioning of the GNSO Operating Procedures and Working Group Guidelines. As part of its charter, the SCI is tasked to consider requests concerning issues related to the GNSO Council processes and procedures and to Working Group Guidelines that have been identified either by the GNSO Council or a group chartered by the GNSO Council as needing discussion. This public comment forum is being opened in relation to two proposed modifications to the GNSO Operating Procedures being recommended by the SCI.
Section II: Background
On 05 March 2015 the SCI submitted to the GNSO Council a Review Request concerning the fact that there are currently no formal procedures on (i) whether, how and by whom a properly submitted motion is to be seconded, and (ii) treatment of proposed amendments to such motions as either "friendly" or "unfriendly". The GNSO Council asked that the SCI codify the existing customary practices of the GNSO Council and consider new processes to govern the seconding of motions and amendments to motions.
In addition, in a motion approved on 19 November 2015 the GNSO Council requested the SCI:
- To review Sections 2.2(b), (f) and (g) of the GNSO Operating Procedures with respect to clarifying: (i) the eligibility of incoming Council members to run for the position of GNSO Chair; (ii) the start and end dates and the duration of the Chair and Vice-Chair terms in accordance with the ICANN Bylaws; and (iii) the timing of publication of the election results; and
- To recommend a general time table for election of the GNSO Council Chair to be approved by the GNSO Council and added to the GNSO Operating Procedures.
After extensive consideration the SCI recently reached Full Consensus on modifications to the GNSO Council Operating Procedures relating to motions and the Chair/Vice-Chair elections. With respect to motions, the SCI proposes additions to Section 3.0 GNSO Council Meetings. Specifically, the SCI proposes a new Section 3.3.3 Submitting, Seconding, and Amending Motions that records the processes currently used informally by the GNSO. With respect to Chair/Vice-Chair Elections, the SCI proposes minor modifications to Section 2.2 Officer Elections: Chair and Vice-Chairs, and a new Section 2.2.1 Procedures for a Situation Where a New GNSO Chair Has Not Been Elected by the End of the Previous Chair's Term. This section describes the procedures for four scenarios relating to the Chair election and the selection of temporary Interim Vice-Chairs.
Section III: Relevant Resources
Please see the following relevant documents:
- GNSO Operating Procedures Proposed Revision Relating to Motions and Amendments [PDF, 310 KB]
- GNSO Operating Procedures Proposed Revision Relating to Chair/Vice-Chair Elections [PDF, 126 KB]
- Current GNSO Operating Procedures v3.1: http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/op-procedures-16feb16-en.pdf [PDF, 1.3 MB].
- For further information about the SCI and its activities, please see https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosci/Home.