Minutes | Meeting of the Strategic Planning Committee of the Board (SPC) | 17 October 2022
SPC Attendees: Matthew Shears – Chair, Maarten Botterman, Becky Burr, Edmon Chung, James Galvin, Christian Kaufmann and Sajid Rahman
SPC Apologies: Avri Doria and Wes Hardaker
Observers: Patricio Poblete and Katrina Sataki
Executive and Staff Attendees: Franco Carrasco (Board Operations Manager), Sally Newell Cohen (SVP, Global Communications and Language Services), Samantha Eisner (Deputy General Counsel), John Jeffrey (General Counsel & Secretary), Becky Nash (VP, Planning), Laena Rahim (Regional Counsel, APAC), Lisa Saulino (Board Operations Specialist), Theresa Swinehart (SVP, Global Domains and Strategy) and Victoria Yang (Senior Manager, Planning)
The following is a summary of discussions, decisions, and actions identified:
The meeting was called to order at 14:00 UTC.
- Agenda – The Chair established the agenda for the meeting and gave an overview of items to be discussed.
FY24 Strategic Outlook Process Update – The SPC continued its discussion on this topic.
At its previous meeting on 5 October 2022, the SPC began its review of the FY24 Strategic Outlook trends results and evaluating the recommendations, with a view to formulate a recommendation to the Board on potential changes, if any, to the current ICANN Strategic Plan for FY24.
From the process perspective, the Chair highlighted several points which arose from the SPC's discussion on this topic thus far, for the SPC's longer-term consideration:
- How to factor in events/developments which occur within the last six (6) months (after the Strategic Outlook trends exercise has concluded);
- To consider including a specific strategic awareness of the scaling issues in relation to ICANN's multistakeholder model (MSM);
- To re-assess the value and limitations of the Strategic Outlook trends exercise; and
- There is an opportunity to improve the Strategic Outlook process, to make it more structured, reflective and forward-thinking, and contribute towards the formulation of the next Strategic Plan.
ICANN org then presented an overview of the remaining trends and the notable shifts (if any) as reflected in the Trends Analysis. ICANN org noted that, based on the analysis and consideration, while there are some shifts in the trends, those do not require a change to the strategic objectives and goals included in the Strategic Plan; instead, these can be reflected in adjustments to the Draft FY24 Operating Plan, which will be posted for public comment.
Due to time constraints, the SPC will continue its discussion on this topic via email exchange. The SPC will review the review the edits made to the conclusions of the FY24 Trend Report and the draft Board Paper.
The final FY24 Trend Report and FY23-27 Draft Operating and Financial Plans will be published respectively in November and December 2022.
The SPC provided the following observations and feedback:
- The SPC noted that there are some issues raised from the results of the trends identification sessions which require further follow-up and an in-depth dialogue within the SPC and/or with the Board.
- The SPC made some suggestions to improve the substance and the language used in the draft report and/or the SPC's proposed recommendation to the Board. For instance, it would be worthwhile to note the urgency/importance of some of the trends and to reflect some of the substantial work that is currently ongoing to address those specific areas. Additionally, the report should be modified to provide some explanation and/or acknowledgement that initiatives are being carried out in relation to an observed shift in a trend.
- The SPC noted that the draft report should be further enhanced by identifying the intertwining linkages between some of the trends/objectives; and to award appropriate weighting to certain activities that currently underway.
- In relation to the trend: UA and IDNs, the SPC commented that while the impact assessment is directed externally, it is also timely for the Board to consider ICANN's specific role in UA.
The SPC noted that the draft report should highlight more information and rationale, to support the evaluation and the suggested outcome of "No change to the Strategic Plan; carry out planned activities in the Operating Plan and report out on progress."
- ICANN org to make the relevant modifications to the FY24 Trend Impact Assessment summary table and the FY24 Trend Analysis Report, as well as the draft Board Paper, incorporating the comments/input received from the SPC at this meeting and from its previous meeting on 5 October 2022, for the SPC's consideration.
- The SPC to continue its discussion and review the revised documents (via e-mail) on this topic and to conclude with a decision via email to make a recommendation for Board consideration in November 2022.
The Chair called the meeting to a close.