PPC members present: Dennis Jennings, Thomas Narten, Jean Jacques Subrenat – chair, and Katim Touray
Other Board members present: Thomas Roessler and Mike Silber
Staff Members Present: Samantha Eisner, John Jeffrey, Kieren McCarthy, Diane Schroeder, Amy Stathos and Nick Tomasso
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:
Confirmed the online approval of the minutes from previous meeting.
- Discussed note to the Board Chair regarding suggestions for the Sydney public forum, including: setting aside time to address some questions presented through the online question box; suggestions for a dual-microphone system to allow for better dialogue; and suggestions for increasing Board member engagement. Further discussed the need to achieve balance between those present and those remotely participating. Action: Staff to revise note according to comments for committee chair to forward to the Board Chair; Staff to provide summarization of common topical threads of questions received in the online question box.
- Discussed proposed questionnaire for use when the newly established document publication deadlines have not been met and how results can be constructive and informative. Committee members are keen to set an example, and agreed to complete the questionnaire. Action: Staff to draft a statement for review by Committee members, regarding PPC’s intent to engage the public as soon possible, in order to formalize procedures for the Seoul meeting, even though it resulted in the PPC’s inability to follow this process in time for Sydney; Staff to revise questionnaire for use when document deadlines are not met; Staff also to modify Board committee meeting schedule to allow for work to be completed in time to post documents in accordance with document deadlines.
- Discussed agenda for public PPC session in Sydney on 23 June 2009. Agreed upon topics and format for meeting. Action: Staff to confirm that documents provided to PPC by ALAC on the public comment process are public, and to inform the ALAC that this topic will be discussed at the meeting; Staff to provide slides with talking points; Staff to assist chair of PPC in scheduling meeting with the Chair of Board to inform of relevant topics on the agenda for the public PPC’s session; Staff to summarize discussions held during public PPC session and provide that to Committee members.
- Received update and discussed that Staff is looking for new public comment software in hopes to improve Public Comment process.
- Received presentation from Staff on proposed schedule and locations for upcoming international meetings, including significant issues regarding conflicting dates, and discussed that the Board requires flexibility while it tries to chart out future meetings. Action: Staff to continue research and work to refine; Staff also to post a call for comments regarding possible calendar conflicts for dates for ICANN international meetings prior to PPC recommending Board approval, to ensure that meetings are not scheduled over sensitive dates.
- Discussed need for administrative change to PPC charter to allow for inclusion of additional Board liaisons in this Committee.
- Discussed status of PPC report to be presented in Sydney. Action: Staff to complete report, present to chair for review and facilitate posting.
- Discussed need to identify methods to better integrate public participation at international meetings, including review of online calendaring tools to provide better notification of meeting changes, and more easily, timely and accessible information on how to participate remotely. Action: Staff to review linking of the International Meeting page and PPC page to remote public participation tools.
- Discussed preparations for the public forum in Sydney, and acknowledged the value of community discussion at the public forum.
- Discussed methods of obtaining feedback on participation mechanisms. Action: Staff to provide summary to Committee on feedback, including methods and information on volume of feedback received.