PPC Attendees: Jean-Jacques Subrenat – Chair; Gonzalo Navarro, Vanda Scartezini and Katim Touray
PPC Apologies: Thomas Narten
Staff Attendees: Doug Brent – Chief Operating Officer; Nick Ashton Hart, Samantha Eisner, Diane Schroeder , Amy Stathos and Nick Tomasso
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:
- PPC chair provided an update to the PPC on recent conversations with staff regarding suggestions on improving PPC working methods.
- Reviewed the proposed agenda for the meeting, and received a suggestion that the PPC should consider the public report, due in advance of the ICANN International Meeting in Nairobi.
- Reviewed and voting members unanimously approved minutes of prior PPC meeting, with modification noted during review.
- Discussed the formation of an agenda for the PPC’s session with the public in Nairobi. The PPC members agreed that use of remote participation, reminders on the document deadline policy, and an introduction to the PPC’s work to create a holistic approach to public participation within ICANN, are all appropriate topics for inclusion. The PPC also agreed that Nairobi is an appropriate venue to focus on the particular needs of participants from developing countries. The PPC agreed that ICANN’s advisory committees and sponsoring organizations, particularly the ALAC, have valuable experience and knowledge in fostering participation, and their input and participation in the PPC public session should be actively invited and encouraged. Staff confirmed that the session would be scheduled to minimize agenda conflicts.
- Staff to create theme for the public session in line with the PPC directives, to include the identification of available remote participation tools as one method of organizing the session. Staff to circulate proposal to PPC membership.
- Staff to work with PPC member for specific suggestions on how to better allow ICANN’s advisory committees and sponsoring organizations to participate in the session, and to seek contributions of ideas for the real-time participation in ICANN meetings.
- Staff to suggest ways of having community members actively present for a portion of the PPC public session in Nairobi.
- Received an update from Staff on the introduction of a matrix of remote participation services available at the Nairobi meeting, and provide the public with an identification of the types of tools that will be available in advance of the Nairobi meeting. The PPC discussed suggestions of how to balance interjections from participants who are physically present with interjections made by participants that are participating remotely, and recognized that some of this is dependent upon the judgment of the chair of each session.
- Staff to provide update to PPC on remote participation tools after completing internal confirmations on the availability of the tools.
- Discussed items that the PPC must complete before Nairobi, including a report to the President and Chair of the Board on what the PPC is trying to achieve in Nairobi; completion of the PPC report to the public; the preparation of tutorials on remote participation tools available in Nairobi; and continued work on the public participation portion of the ICANN website.
- Staff to provide PPC with draft of note to the President and Chair of the Board.
- Staff to provide PPC with draft of PPC report to the public.
- Staff to provide update to PPC on the remote participation tutorial in advance of public posting.
- Received request from PPC member for a summarization on action items from prior PPC meeting.
- Staff to provide action item updates in advance of every PPC meeting.
- Received request from PPC member to change timing of next PPC meeting.
- Staff to coordinate PPC member schedules to accommodate change in timing.