IC attendees: Kuo-Wei Wu – Chair; Bertrand de La Chapelle, Thomas Narten, Ray Plzak, Katim Touray and Suzanne WoolfStaff Members Present: Elise Gerich – Vice President, IANA; Kim Davies, Samantha Eisner, Alina Syunkova, and Leo Vegoda
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:
- Minutes. The IC reviewed and approved the minutes of the previous IC meeting.
- Update on Root Management. Staff provided an update on the status of Root Management Work, including an overview of the monthly reporting given to the NTIA pursuant to the IANA Functions Contract. The IC discussed the potential impact of the ccNSO Framework of Interpretation Work on the IANA Functions Department processes for delegation and redelegation. The IC also received an update on the automation of Root Zone change requests, including a report that the Root Zone Management system is fully deployed and changes are being implemented successfully, and there is a phased roll out of access to a web interface for TLD managers to access information on their change requests. The web interface required the institution of credentials to assure access control. The roll out has been continuing successfully, and TLD managers have the choice of using the web-system or sending templates via email. The IANA Functions Department staff is working with TLD managers to help the TLD managers/users gain better understanding of the system. In addition, work is being done regarding potential automation of regulatory checks. The IC also received a report on the work underway with its partners in the RZM system to address any issues that have arisen. The future work underway included heightening the authentication process. There is also proposed work on retiring 11 test TLDs that are in the root with a required sunset provision.
- Staff to provide additional information on the history of check relating to the 512 byte check.
- Staff to review low-bandwidth access to the web-interface.
- Review of IC Report to the Community. The IC reviewed the report that will be provided for the community during the Dakar meeting regarding the IC’s recent activities.
- Staff to revise report to meet IC member comments.
- Any Other Business. An IC member raised a question regarding potential synergies between ccTLDs and gTLDs, such as gTLDs that are connected with national authorities. IANA Functions staff noted that all TLD transactions are treated the same within the department, whether they are gTLDs or ccTLDs, and must meet the same criteria.