Minutes | Meeting of the Governance Committee of the Board (BGC) | 29 July 2022
BGC Attendees: Becky Burr, Sarah Deutsch, Avri Doria, Danko Jevtović, Ihab Osman, León Sánchez and Tripti Sinha (Chair)
Other Board Member Attendees: Patricio Poblete and Katrina Sataki
ICANN org Attendees: Franco Carrasco (Board Operations Specialist), Sally Newell Cohen (SVP, Global Communications and Language Services), John Jeffrey (General Counsel and Secretary), Vinciane Koenigsfeld (Director Board Operations), Elizabeth Le (Associate General Counsel), Wendy Profit (Board Operations Senior Manager), Amy Stathos (Deputy General Counsel), and Theresa Swinehart (SVP, Global Domains and Strategy)
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:
- Agenda review – The Chair opened the meeting and reviewed the meeting agenda.
- Review of Past Activities – The Chair recapped the following action items from the prior meeting: (i) ICANN org to prepare relevant Board materials re the BGC's recommendation to the Board for approval of the 2023 Nominating Committee Leadership slate; and (ii) BGC Chair to meet with incoming Board members. The Chair noted that item (i) has been completed, and that item (ii) is pending.
- Slating Discussion – The BGC Chair provided an update on the slating process for Board Committees and other Board groups. The Chair noted that the data from the incoming Board members is needed to populate the slating worksheet. The Committee reviewed the slating guidelines. The BGC also discussed the self-nomination process for the Board leadership and Board Governance Committee chair positions, noting that the two-week self-nomination period will open three weeks before the first day of the September Board workshop.
Board Member as Liaisons to the Planning Prioritization Planning Group – The BGC discussed a request from the Board Caucus on Budgeting and Prioritization Community Recommendations (BPCR) for two Board members to serve as primary and alternate liaisons on the Planning Prioritization Group (Group). The Group is being set up by ICANN org as part of the Annual Planning Framework for the FY24 Operating Plan and Budget process. The primary and alternate liaisons will report back to the BPCR and the Organizational Effectiveness Committee. The BGC Chair noted that BPCR members Avri Doria and Matthew Shears have volunteered for the positions. The BGC Chair stated that she will send out a call for expressions of interest to the full Board.
- Action: BGC Chair to send out a call for expressions of interest to the Board asking for two Board members to serve as primary and alternate liaisons respectively, to the Planning Prioritization Group.
Board Operational Priority 4.2.5 The BGC discussed Board Operational Priority (BOP) 4.2.5 and the draft paper prepared by a Board member setting forth a recommended approach to address deliverables for BOP 4.2.5. The BGC also discussed whether BOP 4.2.5 belongs within the BGC or whether it would be more aligned with the scope and responsibilities of another Board Committee, such as the Organizational Effectiveness Committee or the Strategic Planning Committee. The BGC agreed that further discussion is needed with the full Board as to which Board Committee BOP 4.2.5 should reside and how to approach the deliverables it.
- Action: BGC Chair to inform Board Chair of the BGC's discussion on BOP 4.2.5 and the BGC's recommendation to discuss the issues with the full Board.
Published on 29 August 2022