Minutes | Board Organizational Effectiveness Committee (OEC) Meeting | 14 July 2020
OEC Attendees: Avri Doria – Chair, Becky Burr, Danko Jevtovic, Lito Ibarra, Mandla Msimang, Ihab Osman and Matthew Shears
Executive and Staff Attendees: Michelle Bright, Franco Carrasco, Jean-Baptiste Deroulez, Samantha Eisner, Negar Farzinnia, Larisa Gurnick, Lars Hoffmann, Vinciane Koenigsfeld, Wendy Profit, Laena Rahim, Lisa Saulino and Theresa Swinehart.
The following is a summary of discussions, decisions, and actions identified:
The Meeting was called to order at 16:00 UTC.
- Agenda – The Chair established the agenda for the meeting and gave an overview of items to be discussed.
At-Large Review Final Implementation Report – The At-Large Review Implementation Working Group has concluded its implementation work; with its Final Implementation Report issued and approved by the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) on 23 June 2020. The Final Implementation Report outlines the completion or projected completion of the work related to implementation of the eight identified issues for remediation and improvements in the At-Large Review Implementation Plan.
ICANN organization briefed the OEC that the Final Implementation Report concludes that six of the issues have been fully implemented. Two issues remain to be completed:
- Member engagement and criteria - The cross-regional At-Large Structure (ALS) Mobilization Working Party has yet to complete reviewing the entire body of rules and processes associated with ALSes. Once finalized, these will need to be reviewed by the RALOs, ratified by the ALAC, and then submitted for Board approval. A Bylaws change may be required to clarify the changes being made in respect to ALSes; and
- Absence of consistent performance metrics - Following ICANN org updating of membership information and placing it in a web-based database, the ALAC is awaiting the implementation of a CRM tool throughout ICANN org. Membership data will then be transferred to the CRM tool to help professionalize the At-Large member management, including the effective capturing of relevant metrics.
Upon being briefed by ICANN org on the status and outcome of the Final Implementation Report, the OEC engaged in a discussion. Some observations and feedback from the OEC include:
- On the issue of "Absence of consistent performance metrics", the OEC noted that ICANN org is actively working towards finalizing the appropriate CRM tools to be utilized throughout ICANN. The necessary groundwork has been achieved to implement the activities quickly and efficiently once ICANN launches a functional CRM system.
- Responding to a query from the OEC, in relation to the two areas that remain to be completed, ICANN org clarified that the ICANN Bylaws do not specify that all recommendations must be fully implemented prior to the Board's acceptance of the Final Implementation Report; and some recommendations may require continuous improvement. In the relevant Board Paper to be prepared, the OEC will provide the appropriate rationale to support its recommendation to the Board to accept the Final Implementation Report, even with the continuous improvement items pending.
- The OEC agreed that it would be useful to request the At-Large Chair to provide the OEC with semi-annual updates on the progress of implementation efforts until such time that the implementation efforts conclude.
The OEC concluded its discussion on this topic. The OEC approved the recommendation to the Board that it is appropriate for the Board to accept the At-Large Final Implementation Report.
- ICANN org to prepare and circulate the draft Board Paper to the OEC, incorporating the relevant comments and suggestions from the OEC, for its approval.
- When the Board Paper is finalized, the issue will be placed on a future Board agenda.
Discussion on Streamlining of Reviews: A Comparative Analysis – Tracking Table – At the previous OEC meeting, ICANN org presented a comparative analysis between previously identified problem or concerns with reviews as they are currently run within ICANN and the ATRT3 Draft Final Report recommendations pertaining to reviews.
Pursuant to a request from the OEC, ICANN org furthered that comparative analysis effort for the OEC through the identification of relevant metrics for each of the previously identified issues, including the problem origin, problem type, problem statement, type of review, information on proposals of how to address the problem, potential implementers, and status of progress. ICANN org highlighted a few issues to illustrate the different types of information that are included in the tracking table.
Upon being briefed by the ICANN org on the relevant metrics of the comparative analysis tracking table, some observations and feedback from the OEC include:
- The tracking table serves as a useful tool to track the problems that have been identified in relation to Organizational and Specific Reviews; encapsulating the work that has been done thus far to address those issues by the ATRT3, the community, the OEC and the ICANN org.
The tracking table provides a useful starting point for the OEC to evaluate the material issues which the OEC needs to consider, whether through the streamlining of reviews process, or through other processes e.g., via the Enhancing the Effectiveness of ICANN's Multistakeholder Model, and Enhancing the Effectiveness of Review Recommendations and Their Implementation initiatives.
- ICANN org to organize a joint meeting for the OEC and the Board Caucus Group on Budgeting and Prioritization of Community Recommendations in August 2020, to have a more detailed discussion on the problems with reviews and discuss ways to address the significant number of remaining gaps, leading to next steps toward streamlining of reviews.
Discussion on Status of Specific Reviews - ICANN org provided a brief update on the progress of Specific Reviews, i.e., the third review of Accountability and Transparency (ATRT3), the second review of Security, Stability and Resiliency of the DNS (SSR2) and the Competition, Consumer Trust & Consumer Choice Review (CCT).
- ATRT3: The ATRT3 delivered its Final Report to the Board on 1 June 2020. The Final Report has been published for Public Comment to gather community input, to inform Board action on the ATRT3's Final Recommendations. The public comment period will close on 31 July 2020. ICANN org presented a workplan to enable the Board to take action on the ATRT3 Final Recommendations within six months from the date that the ATRT3 Review Team submitted its Final Report to the Board (by no later than 1 December 2020, as per the ICANN Bylaws).
- SSR2 Review: The SSR2 Draft Report closed for Public Comment on 20 March 2020. Eighteen (18) public comments were received (which contain more than 300 substantive individual comments) and the comments received expressed a great diversity in views with no clear alignment. The SSR2 Review Team is in the midst of analyzing the comments received and amending the Draft Report, as necessary. The SSR2 Review Team expects to complete its review in October 2020.
- CCT Review: ICANN org is implementing several Accepted Recommendations which can be implemented with existing resources. Recommendations requiring significant resources and budget are to be included in operational planning and budgeting processes, allowing for appropriate community consideration and prioritization of planned work. ICANN org is working with the CCT Board Caucus Group to inform the Board of the current status of all CCT Recommendations, to obtain the Board's approval on the blog to be posted on behalf of the Board, and to communicate with the Implementation Shepherds on clarification being sought on one recommendation. 11 of the 17 Pending Recommendations are ready for Board Action, which is targeted for early August 2020. ICANN org will continue to track recommendations that have been passed through to other parts of the community, to the extent information becomes available.
Discussion on Status of Organizational Reviews - ICANN org provided a brief update on the progress of Organizational Reviews i.e., Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC2) Review, Root Server System Advisory Committee (RSSAC2) Review, and Nominating Committee (NomCom2) Review.
- SSAC2, RSSAC2 and NomCom2 Reviews (Reception of Progress Reports): The SSAC2 Review Work Group, the RSSAC2 Review Work Group and the NomCom2 Review Implementation Working Group submitted their respective progress reports on 30 June 2020.
On the NomCom2 Review, the NomCom Review Implementation Working Group (NomCom RIWG) is progressing well and it reaches out to the community regularly to ensure that its views align with the feedback received from the community. ICANN org highlighted the following areas of work of the NomCom RIWG:
- The possibility that ICANN Bylaws will need to be updated, as part of the implementation of several recommendations, such as changes to the term durations for the NomCom members, and changes to the voting status of members, and rebalancing of the NomCom. The NomCom RIWG is also working on establishing a Standing Committee for the NomCom.
- The issue of rebalancing the NomCom - The NomCom RIWG suggested that the GNSO, occupying seven seats on the NomCom, reallocates those seven seats among the different parts of the GNSO. The NomCom RIWG envisions a change to the ICANN Bylaws whereby seven seats are allocated to the GNSO, and the GNSO itself can allocate those seats as they see fit among the stakeholder groups and constituencies, replacing the current Bylaws' assignment across the GNSO's different Stakeholder Groups.
Review of OEC Open Action Items and Watched Action Items – ICANN org circulated the OEC's open action items list via e-mail, prior to the OEC meeting. The OEC noted that some of the open action items will be completed during the discussion at the current meeting, there are several action items which will be followed up in time for the next OEC meeting; and there are also other action items which will require more time to complete. The OEC also reviewed and revised the OEC's "Watched Action Items" list to reflect items which should remain on the list. Items on the list are not for current action, but deserve periodic examination or discussion by the OEC.
- The OEC Chair to communicate with the Chair of the Board Governance Committee (BGC) on the following open action items: (1) contingency planning (to ensure that the OEC is aligned with the BGC's approach and processes); and (2) clarity around roles and responsibilities for Specific Reviews related to the OEC, the various review-related Board Caucus Groups, and the Board Caucus Group on Budgeting and Prioritization of Community Recommendations.
Confirmation of Actions Taken via E-mail:
- Approval of 9 June 2020 Preliminary Report
- OEC Activities Report for 1 January – 30 July 2020 has been approved by the OEC Chair
- ATRT3 timeline toward Board action – at the OEC's request, ICANN org circulated the timeline leading up to Board action on ATRT3 Final Report, by 1 December 2020
The Chair called the meeting to a close.
Published on 20 August 2020