BAMC Attendees: Becky Burr, Sarah Deutsch, Chris Disspain, Avri Doria, Mandla Msimang, Nigel Roberts, and León Sánchez (Chair)
ICANN Organization Attendees: Xavier Calvez (SVP, Planning and Chief Financial Officer), Casandra Furey (Associate General Counsel), John Jeffrey (General Counsel & Secretary), Vinciane Koenigsfeld (Senior Director, Board Operations), Elizabeth Le (Associate General Counsel), and Amy Stathos (Deputy General Counsel)
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken, and actions identified:
Legal Invoice Approval Payment Process – The BAMC received a briefing on the revised process for legal invoice approval payment to provide more transparency and predictability. Under the revised process, ICANN org will estimate potential upcoming legal fees in a particular matter and present the estimates to the BAMC, as part of regular briefings provided to the BAMC regarding ongoing matters. The org will then ask the BAMC to recommend that the Board approve a tranche of funds to be used for upcoming outside counsel fees for a particular matter. ICANN org also provided the BAMC with a briefing on the proposed recommendation for Board approval on a tranche of funds for a particular matter. The BAMC expressed support for the revised process, noting that is a proactive improvement. The BAMC then approved a recommendation to the Board for approval of a tranche of funds to be used for outside counsel fees for a particular matter.
- ICANN org to prepare relevant Board materials.
- ICANN org to consider including background information on legal processes as part of the Board onboarding materials.
- Update on Independent Review Process (IRP) Implementation Oversight Team (IOT) and IRP Standing Panel Progress – The BAMC received a briefing on the progress on the work underway in the IOT and on the establishment of the IRP omnibus Standing Panel.
- Litigation Update – The BAMC received a litigation update.
- AOB – The Chair noted that his term as BAMC Chair will end at the AGM, and he welcomed the new BAMC Chair. The Committee thanked the current Chair for his leadership.
Published on 18 November 2020