
DUANE WESSELS: All right. We should get started. Mario, you do the roll call for us.

MARIO ALEMAN: Sure. Thank you, Duane. Welcome, everyone. This is Mario. Welcome to the RZERC teleconference call on 21st of August, 2017 at 17:00 UTC.

On the participants, we have Duane Wessels, Kim Davies, Howard Eland, Kaved Ranjbar, Peter Koch and Russ Mundy.

We have no apologies listed from anyone on this meeting.

On behalf of staff, we have Steve Sheng and myself, Mario, doing the [inaudible] for this call.

I would like to say please to all participants to speak clearly and state your name before speaking for our recording purposes. With this, we're ready to start the call, and you have the microphone, Duane.

DUANE WESSELS: All right. Thank you, Mario. So, thanks, everyone, for joining. I apologize that we ended up scheduling of this meeting during the solar eclipse which is a big deal here in United States, but we'll proceed anyway and maybe the call will wind up being short.

Let's start with the review of the action items. Mario, you have those?

MARIO ALEMAN:

Yes. Thank you, Duane. I would like to read briefly the action items from the previous meeting.

The first one: staff to publish the minutes, transcript, and audio recording from 19th June, 2017 teleconference. Those have been published already and you can find them online.

Number two, staff to confirm agenda publication for ICANN public meetings. We have the confirmation actually that ICANN requires at least 15 days, actually work in prior to the meeting. And you can find more of the information actually in the following document that I'll be sharing on the chat. You can find there.

And also, the third one, Peter to edit the RZERC Operational Procedure draft in this section Conflict of Interest and Disclosure of Interest. And I believe that's also being done by Duane and Peter. Duane also to share document procedures with Jim and Peter to get more feedback before our next RZERC meeting which is this one.

I believe actually those had been sent out. We actually had a call a few days ago that we went over some of the edits for the procedures. And I believe actually that's pretty much ready.

So, these are all the action items, Duane. And if you have any questions, please let me know.

DUANE WESSELS:

Yes. I think that covers that we did have that meeting with Kim and Peter and I think Bobby and [inaudible] are also there, if I remember correctly. And so that was a very productive meeting. They may [took]

the progress. And then I sent out a version following that meeting of the procedures document. So, yes, I think the action items are complete. And next, we can approve the minutes from July 17th.

Did anyone have any concerns or questions about July 17th minutes that Mario sent out with the agenda? Can I get a motion to approve?

RUSS MUNDY: I'll move to approve.

DUANE WESSELS: Thank you, Russ.

KAVEH RANJBAR: I'm seconding Russ's motion.

DUANE WESSELS: Thank you, Kaveh. So, the minutes are now approved and staff will publish those to the websites shortly.

So next, we'll talk about the Operational Procedures document. As we've said, there was a [mid] meeting editing session. We did some edits during that call and also following that call, I sent the version out to the group. And although Jim is not on the call, I believe he said he was quite satisfied with the current state of the document. And, Peter, I believe you are also, but I'll let you speak for yourself.

PETER KOCH: Sorry, I was muted. Yes. I think we've made good progress. Thank you for leading the effort, Duane. And from my perspective, this is good to go.

DUANE WESSELS: Okay. I don't know. Since we're short of people, it feels a little premature to take these as approved. So, perhaps either between this meeting and the next meeting, we should put out a call for consensus on the mailing list or we can do it during the next meeting. I'm open to suggestions either way. I don't think a vote is really appropriate since we don't really vote on these things. We just take consensus. Would anyone be opposed to a call for consensus on the mailing list?

MARIO ALEMAN: I think that would be an excellent way to go, Duane.

PETER KOCH: Yes. Peter supports this.

DUANE WESSELS: Okay.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes. Okay. I also support this.

DUANE WESSELS:

So, I'll work with Mario too to make that happen. Does anyone else have any topics they want to talk about relating to the Operational Procedures document before we move on? Okay.

The next thing on the agenda is a suggestion from a couple of folks to go through some example scenarios that RZERC might be asked to consider in the future. And as a group, we could talk through some of these potential scenarios and discuss whether or not we think they are within scope or out of scope.

My suggestion would be that we go to the mailing list and we can ask for people to submit potential topics and then collect these. And then during our next call, we can have that discussion. I would suggest that this should be like a brainstorming session. And any silly ideas should be put forth just so that we can have that discussion and make sure that everyone is more or less in agreement on the types of proposals that RZERC should be considering. Peter, please.

PETER KOCH:

Thanks, Duane. So just to understand, I think that it's a good approach. I'm trying to understand whether the outcome would be made public, except that it would be public in the minutes anyway, but explicitly public or socialize with the audience maybe at the next ICANN meeting or something so people understand what we think might be in scope without having any prejudice over what they come up with. Or is this just internal?

DUANE WESSELS: I think it's probably a good idea and appropriate to make this public. As you said, it could be in a presentation at a future public meeting or whatever that's appropriate. I don't think it should be considered internal only.

PETER KOCH: Thanks.

DUANE WESSELS: Howard?

HOWARD ELAND: Yes, thanks. I think without holding too much, I think we may also want to come up with an example list of things that we would not necessarily take up if we're going to do that. I like the idea of taking the things we would do or wouldn't do onto the list and we hash it out ourselves. And then once we have a final list, then we take that to folks and say, "All right. Here are examples of the kind of work where we want to take on." And the question I'm asking is do we also want to maybe have some examples of things we would not necessarily want to take on.

DUANE WESSELS: Yes, I think so. That's what I was getting at. No proposal is too silly. We should include the whole spectrum and then we can specify or we can come to agreement on things that are within our remit and things that are not. Kim?

KIM DAVIES:

I just wanted to echo what was said. I think it's a good idea. I know, Duane, we've spoken with Brad as well about some of the scenarios where we thought to be in scope and also the out of scope. I think maybe it's a very useful exercise. I think mine will be a formal set of ins and outs. But I agree it should be public even in an informal way because I think people are looking to us to define the kinds of scenarios that we get referred to RZERC for consideration. So, I think it's useful if that [cal] concept as well is applicable, is there any kept to the committee members.

DUANE WESSELS:

Yes. I agree. I like to put on what folks think, how you think the discussion should go. For example, we could collect the list of topics and then as a group, we could just go through them during our next call. Alternatively, I think we could collect this list of topics and do some kind of polling, Doodle poll or whatever, maybe some kind of even anonymous polling or voting before the call. And that's to eliminate some obvious things that we would I guess reject and no need further discussion and identify those things that are maybe on the sense and do need more discussion. So I [understood here] if people think we should have some kind of polling or voting before the next call. Kim?

KIM DAVIES:

That was an old hand. But I think I will specifically say that I don't think we need to poll people unless it's controversial. Let's keep it [because it's informal].

DUANE WESSELS: Okay. Thanks. Peter?

PETER KOCH: Yes, thanks. I think there's a difference between those examples that we would put forward as examples and items that may end up on our plate where we would have a more in-depth debate on whether we have to take that. So, what we might want to come up with is one or two non-controversial things and I also suggest that we avoid voting just like Kim said because voting isn't what is supposed to happen when we actually get something offered as an issue.

What I also suggest is that we go a bit back in history and look for examples. And I think we've already mentioned a couple of times that the introduction of DNSSEC might have been, had RZERC existed in that time, might have been something that would have been addressed by RZERC but others may disagree. So not just make up things as we go but also look at it into the history here.

DUANE WESSELS: Yes, thanks. When I said voting, I wasn't really meaning voting in that sort of restrictions. But what I was getting at was, I think when we have the discussions, a lot of times, the people who speak first may influence the group as a whole. And so, if there was somebody who maybe felt strongly that the proposal was important for RZERC but if during that discussion, they felt like they are were a minority, they may not want to speak up. But I don't really think it matters either way. It's just a minor

thing. Russ, you have your hand up. You're muted, Russ. If you're speaking, we can't hear you.

RUSS MUNDY:

Yes. I'm sorry. Yes, I was. One thing that I think we have to put in the mix of things to consider and talk about are some of the recent publications by RZERC that talks about the potential changes to have the functionality associated with the [root zone]. And one of the things comes to mind that's near and dear to the RZERC heart is whether or not defining query should be signed and whether or not if you get a request coming in, if we should respond.

So that's one. Just the naming of the root zone service. So, we really, I think have a nice fresh set of things to look at that maybe some of us haven't thought about a great deal. So that would be a good place I think to start mulling about what we might include in our discussion here.

DUANE WESSELS:

Yes. I do think those are really good ones to put on this list. And I hope that we can come up with even more things that maybe farther out or things that have happened in the past that may have been appropriate or may seem to have been appropriate. Yes, thank you.

Okay. So, I'll let Mario to know that action that we'll send out another note on the mailing list asking for topics or potential RZERC proposals and we'll collect those in advance of the next call and then have those on the agenda. Okay.

Is your hand raised again, Russ, or did it not go in?

RUSS MUNDY: Yes. Sorry.

DUANE WESSELS: Okay. No problem. Any further discussion on that topic before we start to wrap up here? Okay. The next schedule of RZERC meeting teleconference would be on September 18th. And that's a good date for me. Does anyone else have concerns about that date? Okay.

PETER KOCH: Did you see the hands?

DUANE WESSELS: I'm sorry, Peter, I didn't see your hand. Sorry, I didn't see it. Go ahead, Peter, please.

PETER KOCH: I'm sorry. Not a concern per se but I'll be very unlikely to make it at that date. The week after that might be okay but let me see.

BRAD VERD: Duane, this is Brad. The 18th, I will be traveling.

DUANE WESSELS: Okay. So that's two down.

PETER KOCH: And on the September 14th, you're taken off for some surgery. So fun with that. So that will be day plus four. I could be there in spirit but I will be there under heavy sedation.

DUANE WESSELS: Okay. Would folks like to consider the week before or the week after? The week before September 11th, which is perfectly fine with me.

PETER KOCH: Sorry. It doesn't work for me. 15th would work.

DUANE WESSELS: All right. Since we also have folks that are not on the call, Mario, why don't we set up a Doodle poll for the dates of the 11th, 18th and 25th in September and see what works for most people?

MARIO ALEMAN: Absolutely. Thank you, Duane. I will submit the Doodle poll to the mailing list as soon as we finish the meeting.

DUANE WESSELS: Okay. And next on the agenda, Steve, you have a topic about ICANN60.

STEVE SHENG: Yes, Duane. As you know, ICANN60 will be in Abu Dhabi from the 28th of October to the 3rd of November. That's the once-a-year general meeting where most of the leadership changes, key, that's the most important meeting of the year.

So, I guess in light of the recent RZERC work, one question that comes to staff's mind is whether RZERC wish to schedule a public session where you agreed, the RZERC agreed that community the recent progress and also take some input from the community.

Now, the deadline to submit session request – the session request, they will open I think on the week of September 9th and close on the 15th. So, I think we need a decision, staff need a decision before then by the RZERC whether if you wish to schedule a meeting, then we will submit a request. So that's the question to the RZERC. Thanks.

DUANE WESSELS: Okay. Thanks, Steve. I think that's a reasonable suggestion. I'm planning to be there so that would be fine. What do others think about a public meeting in Abu Dhabi?

Also, Steve, a question for you. It seems like a lot of times, based on my RSSAC experience, there's multiple public sessions I guess on the agenda to take it more available. Would you suggest that also for RZERC or have you thought about that?

STEVE SHENG: Well, I think it depends. There are a variety of ways. For example, if the RZERC can convene a meeting like we're doing on teleconference and

that you can make it open to the public or you could have simply an update session, just the ways to update the community on your progress. Or you can have a private session where it's not open to the public. So, any combination of those, we can try to accommodate, but we just need to know what RZERC prefers. Thanks.

DUANE WESSELS:

Okay. I don't know about a private session. And I think any public session we have, it should be quite short before we don't have a lot to say at this point. Peter, you have your hand up?

PETER KOCH:

Yes. Thanks. And now I'm unmuted. Thank you, Duane. I was going to support the idea to have an in-person meeting in terms of openness and so on and so forth. Assuming that we find consensus in the operational procedures, I would support this to be a public meeting and in deed we might not need a full agenda and work there.

But given that we've brainstormed by then about potential issues, I think would be a very good opportunity to share these thoughts with the community and just be present so that the number of people that already have been asking what would RZERC actually is get an opportunity to see what it is and we kind of lift the blanket here.

DUANE WESSELS:

Okay. Thank you. Russ, go ahead.

RUSS MUNDY: Yes. I think having a public session at the meeting as an information session, whether we say, "Here's what we reviewed the material that set us up and what we've done in the last year." I agree that it probably would be quite short. And it's always hard to predict what you're going to get to turn out at the public sessions. It could be an empty room or it could be a pack if there's a bunch of people interested. I really don't know. But I don't see there's a need to do a public meeting.

So, it might be useful to ask for at least a one-hour private session that if there's anything pending that we need to get handled, we would have the equivalent of our phone call and we could publish minutes afterwards like we usually do.

DUANE WESSELS: Okay. I'm hearing the idea that we'll have a public meeting and a regular meeting in Abu Dhabi. Does that sound about right?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I think so.

DUANE WESSELS: I work with Steve and Mario to submit that. We'll, I don't even know if they need me. So, Steve, let's submit those to request I guess.

STEVE SHENG: Okay. Sounds good. Both of those public, one of them, public and one of them closed?

DUANE WESSELS: I think one of them would be closed in the sense that it's just a regular meeting.

STEVE SHENG: Okay. All right. And one in public? Okay, thanks.

DUANE WESSELS: Yes.

STEVE SHENG: Duane, the other thing is as RZERC is composed of representatives from the various constituencies – GNSO, RySG, ICANN Board, ccNSO, SSAC. In addition to the public session, there may be value or either you or the representative going to those meetings and gave a five to ten-minute update, so that each of the constituency knows. And that, you can use the same [slide deck], you use of public meeting or slight variation so that you maximize outreach in that meeting. Thanks.

DUANE WESSELS: Okay. I think that's fine. All right. We run out of agenda. Does anyone have any last-minute topics they'd like to bring up before we go for adjournment? You still have a little bit of time just to be equipped if we close, and so that would be cool.

All right. I think we should call the meeting adjourned then. And look for a number of e-mails on the mailing list about the things we've talked about today.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thanks, Duane.

DUANE WESSELS: Thank you.

PETER KOCH: Thanks, Duane.

DUANE WESSELS: Bye.

PETER KOCH: Bye-bye.

MARIO ALEMAN: Thank you, gentlemen. This meeting has been adjourned.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]