Privacy/Proxy Services Accreditation Implementation
Implementation Project Status
Updated 1 March 2018
- The Implementation Review Team (IRT) meets every Tuesday at 15:00 UTC.
- The IRT is in the final stages of reviewing the following accreditation program materials in preparation for a public comment period:
- Privacy and Proxy Service Provider Accreditation Policy
- Privacy and Proxy Service Provider Accreditation Agreement
- Privacy and Proxy Service Provider Accreditation Program Applicant Guide
- Privacy and Proxy Service Provider Suspension, De-Accreditation and Transition Procedure
- The IRT is scheduled to meet and discuss any final issues related to these documents at ICANN61.
- During the public comment period, the IRT will discuss issues related to the Transfer Policy that were recently referred to the IRT by the GNSO Council.
- Board Approval: 9 August 2016
- Draft implementation plan/framework distributed to IRT: 14 October 2016 (available on the community wiki, login required for access)
- IRT kickoff meeting: 18 October 2016
- [Estimated] Public comment period on proposed implementation of Privacy and Proxy Service Provider Accreditation Program: March 2018
- [Estimated] Close of public comment period on proposed implementation of Privacy and Proxy Service Provider Accreditation Program: May 2018
- Completion of IRT's work and announcement of final requirements and effective date will depend on the results of the public comment forum. If few changes are required, the IRT's work could be complete Q3 2018.
The 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA) includes a Specification on Privacy and Proxy Registrations that contains requirements for privacy and proxy service registrations offered through affiliates and resellers of registrars accredited under the 2013 RAA.
These requirements will be replaced by the Privacy and Proxy Accreditation Program. ICANN is implementing this program based on Final Recommendations [PDF, 1.24 MB] that were developed by the GNSO Privacy & Proxy Services Accreditation Issues PDP Working Group, adopted by the GNSO Council and approved by the ICANN Board.
New accreditation program requirements will include:
- Detailed frameworks for provider responses to requests from law enforcement authorities and intellectual property holders
- Standardized requirements for providers' relay of communications from third parties to privacy and proxy service customers
- Provider data escrow and data retention requirements
- A new Registration Data Directory Service label to identify registrations involving a privacy and or proxy service
- Required provider notices to privacy and proxy service customers and third-party requesters
- A mandatory provider educational program.