Public Participation Committee Charter | As approved by the ICANN Board of Directors 6 March 2009 | Updated 28 June 2009
The Board Public Participation Committee is responsible for:
- Assisting the Board in defining ICANN's Public Participation strategies and guidelines;
- Supervising the development and implementation of a Public Participation programme;
- Reviewing annually ICANN's Public Participation activities;
- Periodically reviewing the committee's charter and performance; and
- Assisting the Board in improving Public Participation in ICANN's policy development activities.
Scope of Responsibilities
Assisting the Board in defining ICANN's Public Participation strategies and guidelines.
- In full cooperation with ICANN's Staff, develop general strategies and guidelines for the conduct of Public Participation activities, including international meetings, regional meetings, advocacy, educational and outreach programmes, and more generally all efforts to increase public awareness of, and participation in the affairs of ICANN, for approval by the Board.
- Identify and encourage the development of effective tools, strategies, and methods for Public Participation activities.
- Work closely with the Chair of the Board and the President/CEO of ICANN for the effective implementation of ICANN's public participation programme. The President/CEO designates a staff member responsible for the support of process and functions of the committee.
Supervising the development and implementation of a Public Participation programme.
- Guide Staff in developing work plan for international meetings, regional meetings, outreach, educational, public awareness, advocacy, and other public participation activities.
- Guide Staff in developing a public participation programme that is compatible with ICANN's Strategic Plan, and in conformity with the budget approved by the Board.
Reviewing annually ICANN's Public Participation activities.
- Develop a process for analysis and evaluation of ICANN Public Participation activities.
- Develop a framework for monitoring and evaluating ICANN's public participation performance.
- Annually, and at least two months in advance of the Annual Meeting, present an assessment of Public Participation activities in the previous one-year period, with recommendations to improve or enhance effectiveness.
- Periodically reviewing the Committee's charter and performance.
- Develop a process for the Committee's self-analysis and evaluation of its own performance, and at least every two years, with a view toward continuously improving its services, and increasing its efficiency.
- Develop a framework for monitoring and evaluating its performance.
- Annually, and at least two months in advance of the Annual Meeting, present an assessment of Public Participation charter, with recommendations, if any, for revisions.
Assisting the Board in improving Public Participation in ICANN's policy development activities.
Develop general policies and guidelines for participation by the public in ICANN's stakeholder driven policy development activities including participation in stakeholder meetings, periods for public comments, methods for providing comments, responses to public comments, etc.
The Committee shall be comprised of at least three, but not more than four voting Board Directors and not more than two Liaison Director, as determined and appointed annually by the Board, each of whom shall comply with the Conflicts of Interest Policy. The voting Directors shall be the voting members of the Committee. The members of the Committee shall serve at the discretion of the Board.
Unless a Committee Chair is appointed by the full Board, the members of the Committee may designate its Chair from among the voting members of the Committee by majority vote of the full Committee membership.
The Committee may choose to organize itself into subcommittees to facilitate the accomplishment of its work. The Committee may seek approval and budget from the Board for the appointment of consultants and advisers to assist in its work as deemed necessary, and such appointees may attend the relevant parts of the Committee meetings.
The Public Participation Committee shall meet at least four times per year, or more frequently as it deems necessary to carry out its responsibilities. The Committee's meetings may be held by telephone and/or other remote meeting technologies. Meetings may be called upon no less than forty-eight (48) hours notice by either (i) the Chair of the Committee or (ii) any two members of the Committee acting together, provided that regularly scheduled meetings generally shall be noticed at least one week in advance
Voting and Quorum
A majority of the voting members of the Committee shall constitute a quorum. Voting on Committee matters shall be on a one vote per member basis. When a quorum is present, the vote of a majority of the voting Committee members present shall constitute the action or decision of the Committee.
Records of Proceedings
A preliminary report with respect to actions taken at each meeting (telephonic or in-person) of the Committee shall be recorded and distributed to committee members within two working days, and meeting minutes shall be posted promptly following approval by the Committee.
The performance of the Committee shall be reviewed annually and informally by the Board Governance Committee. The Board Governance Committee shall recommend to the full Board changes in membership, procedures, or responsibilities and authorities of the Committee if and when deemed appropriate. Performance of the Committee shall also be formally reviewed as part of the periodic independent review of the Board and its Committees.