IANA Committee Charter | As approved by the ICANN Board of Directors 6 March 2009
The Internet Assigned Names and Numbers (IANA) Committee of the Board is responsible for:
- Reviewing and monitoring current IANA operations;
- Advising with respect to implementation of policies by ICANN for management of the IANA functions; and
- Reviewing, monitoring and overseeing of policies providing for the secure, efficient performance of the IANA functions.
Scope of Responsibilities
The following responsibilities are set forth as a guide for fulfilling the Committee’s purposes. The Committee is authorized to carry out these activities and other actions reasonably related to the Committee’s purposes as may be assigned by the Board from time to time:
- Review and provide guidance on enhancing current IANA operations taking into account security and stability concern;
- Oversee and annually report to the Board on performance of ICANN’s obligations under any agreements governing the IANA functions;
- Review and provide guidance to the Board on matters relating to
the overall performance and effectiveness of the IANA functions,
including but not limited to:
- Significant emerging technology issues and trends that may affect the performance of the IANA functions, including security and stability concerns;
- Changing global policies and political issues that may appropriately result in changes to current IANA functions policies; and
- Appropriate technology planning processes to support growth objectives relating to effectiveness of the IANA functions;and
- Review and provide guidance with respect to future trends in technology that may affect strategic plans for the IANA functions, including monitoring of overall Internet function industry trends.
The IANA Committee shall be comprised of not less than two nor more than five voting Board Directors and not more than two Liaison Directors, as determined and appointed annually by the Board, each of whom shall comply with the Conflicts of Interest Policy. The voting Directors shall be the voting members of the Committee. The voting Directors shall be the voting members of the Committee. The members of the Committee shall serve at the discretion of the Board.
Unless a Committee Chair is appointed by the full Board, the members of the Committee may designate its Chair from among the voting members of the Committee by majority vote of the full Committee membership.
The Committee may choose to organize itself into subcommittees to facilitate the accomplishment of its work. The Committee may seek approval and budget from the Board for the appointment of consultants and advisers to assist in its work as deemed necessary, and such appointees may attend the relevant parts of the Committee meetings.
The IANA Committee shall meet at least two times per year, or more frequently as it deems necessary to carry out its responsibilities. The Committee's meetings may be held by telephone and/or other remote meeting technologies. Meetings may be called upon no less than forty-eight (48) hours notice by either (i) the Chair of the Committee or (ii) any two members of the Committee acting together, provided that regularly scheduled meetings generally shall be noticed at least one week in advance.
There shall be a designated ICANN Staff member responsible for support of the process and the functions of the Committee. The General Manager, IANA is expected to regularly participate in meetings of the Committee in order to provide technical advice and other relevant data to the Committee.
Voting and Quorum
A majority of the voting members of the Committee shall constitute a quorum. Voting on Committee matters shall be on a one vote per member basis. When a quorum is present, the vote of a majority of the voting Committee members present shall constitute the action or decision of the Committee. Liaisons will be non-voting.
Records of Proceedings
A preliminary report with respect to actions taken at each meeting (telephonic or in-person) of the Committee shall be recorded and distributed to committee members within two working days, and meeting minutes shall be posted promptly following approval by the Committee.
The performance of the Committee shall be reviewed annually and informally by the Board Governance Committee. The Board Governance Committee shall recommend to the full Board changes in membership, procedures, or responsibilities and authorities of the Committee if and when deemed appropriate. Performance of the Committee shall also be formally reviewed as part of the periodic independent review of the Board and its Committees.