RSSAC Meeting, Vancouver, BC
23 rssac - 06nov2005 - Vancouver , BC
Attendees: (affiliation provided for new attendees)
Brett Carr - RIPE NCC
Tim Lister - DOD
Hiro Hotta - JPRS
Shinta Sato - JPRS
Minutes taken by Bill Manning, Russ Mundy, Tim Lister, Steve Conte, and Brett Carr
0. members changes
1. DNSSEC status on root
2. SSAC report
3. anycast status and updates
4. IPv6 glue statement & status
5. Measurement, Simulatation activities
6. ICANN status and report including IANA status
7. RSSAC between today & next F2F meeting
Member Changes: "M" root has new operational help from JPRS.
Shinto Shato - JPRS
Hiro Hoto - JPRS
IANA changes: David Conrad - IANA GM.
DNSSEC status - Liman
generally moved out to 1q2006. waiting on demonstrated needs/requirements to be stated. The following list is primarly based on software capability upgrades, not configuration, testing , or production scheduling.
- A & J, helpful with more focused pressure from the outside, 6 months lead time. (clarification, MarkK - whenever there are clear plans for the IANA to produce a signed zone content)
- B aim at 1q2006 (all machines will be running BIND 9 by first quarter 06)
- C whenever it becomes important
- D Dec 05
- E Jan 06
- F now
- G when we take over service at Columbus, will start planning (revised to 1Q06)
- H Howard (phone) ready anytime - change nameserver software
- I 4q2005
- K now
- L 1q2006
- M end of this year
SSAC report Ð Steve Crocker
- Root Update Glitch
- DNSSEC Deployment
SSAC is active in working on the examination of some glitches that have taken place in the publishing of the root zone.
- Miscues in 11/04 and 08/05
What was put into root zone was different than expected. Primary concern was what caused it and what other items could go wrong. In Aug 2005 closely related effects still residual from first incident which resulted in a lame delegation.
- Uncertainties and partial explanations
- Vigorous IANA/Verisign interactions
- Full clarity is still to come
- Root zone has:
- SOA, etc
- Root server NS, A and AAAA records
- TLD NS, A and AAAA records
- Root server ops, TLD ops speak for NS
- Who speaks for A and AAAA
- What happens when NS operator initiates changes
Suzanne's (et al) View:
- Solid model is fine, but humans will make errors
- Need good review process
- Use of EPP(?) to mechanize update
- Presumably that forces clarity
- David Conrad now IANA GM
- ICANN/VeriSign settlement agreement
- Cessation of hostilities
- Move distribution master to IANA
- When? DoC approval?
- WSIS reaching a crescendo
Technical / Operational Progress
- SE is running DNSSEC
- ORG and COM/NET in test bed
- NSEC3 w/opt-in progressing
- Solves privacy problem
- Solves initial cost of opt'n for large zones
RIPE NCC signing three /8s
Status of Root Servers?
A. When will you be ready to accept a signed root zone?
Discussion about the question of "readiness"... is it Bind9/NDS upgrade or is it fully ready and tested to host/answer signed root data. Cathy asks a general question: if IANA says they will be producing the signed content by X date (say July 2006), how long will it take the root server operators to be ready? Bill suggests that any plan include coordination with the root operators in a testphase before any public announcement.
- Compatible software ready and in operation
- Ready to test with IANA when signed root is available
- Ready to serve after successful testing
Next step: engage IANA to determine when they'll be ready to start authoring a signed root
Anycast status... Liman * Brian
Not significant changes - slow deployment for J,I,K - F continues
scheduled plan. A,D,E, and L remain unicast.
IPv6 glue statement ... Bill
the draft text is being refined. expect some impact in legacy caching servers
hope to have a recommendation to RSSAC chair before end of calendar year. Some operators will need to upgrade DNS software.
Measurement ... Kim
testing for anycast
Neville has new dns monitor up.
Kenjura Cho is visiting CAIDA this week.
Paul Vixie: Nominet sending DSC data to OARC
Russ Mundy: Sparta/DETER testbed work in progress
Andre Robacheski: RIPE anycast test work - here: http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/ripe-51/presentations/pdf/ripe51-anycast_k-root.pdf
Next CAIDA/WIDE measurement workshop: 17-18mar2006 @ ISI
ICANN status É Suzanne
Sz... we should be more active... all our work has been technical and
fairly infrequent. See gets the sense that the board would like more
input from us. Work with the ICANN board takes lots of time.
Rob Austein - As the IABÕs liaison to rssac ... we have the chance to read and comment on the recent
ICANN / VSGN documents. It is worth a read.
Sz would like to have more input on what to say both in the board mtgs and
again during the public meetings
Jun asks who will be at Tunis... DFK will be.
RSSAC between today and next face to face meeting - Jun
19mar2006 next mtg.
to be overlaid by:
http://www.rssac.org - please send comments to the list.
Liman will remain on the ICANN Nomcom for 2006