RSSAC Meeting, Paris
new attendees are listed w/ affiliation
jeff baker, ep.net
<new vsgn person>
brett carr, ripe ncc
dnssec impact on root
measurement & simulation
policy status & root servers
rssac btwn today & next meeting
dnssec for root - Olaf K.
slides <http://www.kolkman.org/dnssec/dpf.pdf> - summary: CPU impact
is small, Memory can be calulated but bandwidth is harder to cacluate.
for most zones this is a non-issue, the most important factor is the
property of the queries.
we may need to ask the IETF to remove cruft e.g. to move the DNSSEC
response from additional section.
check for DO bit enabled queries. more than a million RRs will push
the memory limit.
tests not checking multiple keys or multiple algos... yet.
readiness - root ops are on track. although at least one is out
into 2006. there is a question about drivers to make the upgrade
Crocker wants the readiness stuff documented - as part of the
dnssec-deployment part of DHS... looking for tracking data
into the roadmap. - he will revisit an older "yard-stick" and
we will update. - at some point there are external factors that
will not change. and we are not speaking about the signing aspect.
SSAC report - Steve Crocker
there is now a full time staff @ ICANN - Dave Piscatello
as a person tracking and completing the work/reports.
Suzanne Woolf - the rise in the number of request to ssac is potentially
disurbing. RSSAC itself tends to not have an opinion unless asked by
ICANN board. A few recommendations have emerged and a few more are
Anycast update - Matt Larson
the update from ICANN-GAC - Luxumbourg
Bill Manning - recent reports of unauthorized copies of anycast
instances - they appear to exist. Do we have good tools to detect
Rob - IPv6 anycast has been fixed in the IETF.
IPv6 - Bill Manning
studies have been completed and a proposed recommendation has
been drafted. RSSAC will look at the proposed recommendation and
if no further comments in 14 days - will ask Jun to recommend to
ICANN for IPv6 glue for roots. Need to get updates to "G" first
and update test for Joao before the 14 day window starts.
Measurement - Kenjura Cho
nothing to report from caida or wide.
Russ Mundy - DETER wants to build an accurate simulation of the
root server system.
Will root operators be willing to contribute/participate?
Are there sensitivities with the root system?
Matt Larson - yes there are, at least for VSGN.
Bill Manning - concerned about viability of results/reports generated
from "stale" information.
Jun Murai - openended testing of routing systems is very difficult.
Russ Mundy - intended to be a community resource. testing for a system
Suzanne Woolf - what is the expected level of participation?
contributed traffic traces, configuration information, etc? Russ Mundy - configuration data would be most helpful
Suzanne Woolf - this is perhaps more sensitive than traffic.
Liman/DFK - we will not give you anything we will not publicly publish.
Matt - not sure we (VSGN) will be able or willing to participate.
Jun - want to see detailed experiment plans first.
So... the general feeling from the operators is "come ask".
for further detail, see http://www.isi.edu/deter
ICANN status & IANA status -- John Crain / Suzanne Woolf
A hot item is the status of agreements w/ ICANN & root ops
RSSAC has stayed focused on its core issues. Good meeting w/ GAC
at the last ICANN meeting in Luxomberg
Many now beleive that "no news is good news" from us. A high
level of trust that we do well and are focused on stability.
GAC and others want to see more statistical data - some was available.
Jun Murai - historically was asked about root server deployment status.
Anycast has solved most of those operational issues. There
are still political issues. - had also been asked about TLD
creation and RSSAC/Root Opertor involvment - is it still a
Suzanne Woolf - We have stated that we carry the data.
Steve Crocker - At the CapeTown ICANN BoT meeting - discussed how big
can the root zone be? do the root servers care? Where are
the thresholds for the operations.
In general, this is not an operational issue, its a backoffice
IANA - John Crain
not much change . there is a change in the IANA management. The
manager job is open. The internal servers are being upgraded to
Policy -- Jun Murai
The lack of visable, written documents on root server coordination
and cooperation are a long standing concern, with current environment,
much higher visability. what action items do we have do move forward
on this issue? we need to do something on this...
Suzanne Woolf - WGIG report came out and pointed out that the roots
are run by trust and not treaty/policy. this is perhaps an issue
for the operators not rssac.
Steve Crocker - whats the distinction btwn rssac and ops.
RSSAC is an advisory group to ICANN, contains many folks from
other groups... root ops have access to the operational boxes.
Jun Murai - root ops need to make progress on formalizing what they do,
perhaps outside a contract ... as first steps.
Would like to make progress before next meeting.
Rob Austein - we might consider referencing the USG/National Academies
Bill Manning - One possible way forward is to take prior drafts from
past years and look for common language.
Jun Murai - It may not been required to have all root operators
"sign-on" at the same time. Any such agreements may be evolutionary
RSSAC - interim meetings & next face to face
Vancouver - 06nov2005
need interim meetings - how / where / when.
will update the www.rssac.org pages - send for committe review -
intent to overlay on icann pages - make sure there is
clarity on the roll-relationship btwn rssac.org and icann.
how to select a new chair - this task is in the bylaws.
do we use the processes that have been used to select
liasons in the past? Bill Manning will write up a draft
and present it for editorial markup to the committee.
No?? ... thanks!