RSSAC Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA
RSSAC meeting 7 - Raw Notes
Pittsburgh, PA. - Washington Rm.
|Jun Muri - chair & M||Randall Hayes - G & H|
|Kato-san - M||Gerry Sn. - D|
|Ray Pilzk - H & G||Mark K. - advisor NSI|
|Louie Touton - ICANN||Tom Newell - A & J|
|Geoff Houston - IEPG||Evi - advisor|
|Havard - I||Mirium - K & Ripe|
|DRC - E & F||Karen Rose - DoC|
|Chris Yarnell - E & F||Sz. - L|
|Chris F. - K||Jessica L. - G & H|
- ICANN process regarding RSSAC - jun
- Primary transition - drc
- Contractual process - markk/louis
- Locations of new servers - evi/bmanning
- DNSSEC status - bmanning
- IPv6 - kato
- IDN impact - bmanning
This mtg is by invitation only. No announced public portion.
If requested, at the end.
1. ICANN process regarding RSSAC - Jun
- New arch. - dedicated primary for root zone (et.al.)
- technically discussed and prepared (apprved?)
- When is a subject for discussion (contractual binding?)
- what are the operational requirements?
- Contract status?
- formal agreement is the goal
- crada - MoU for existing capabilities, not all
- (USgov & PSI not signed up)
- Formal draft circulated 27july2000 PDT.
- Under review. DoC & ICANN want both.
Prior art. 2010, 2870, DNSOPS ---- more later.
- 15July - ICANN board mtg. passed resolutions pertanent to RSSAC.
- Apublic transition plan based on dedicated primary
- We are working on implementation plan. plans available
- By EOM aug.2000
- President is authorized to request and wrk w/ DoC on
- Transition plan including editiorial control of the zone.
- Expend funds to make these things happen.
- URL for the data on ICANN site.
- Markk - not part of the RSSAC process. "railroaded"?
- Louie - four drafts out in last call - no received comments.
- Is the document ok? sure.
- Ray - would be nice to see in final form prior to announcement.
- Bill - possible mis-reading of the resolution statements.
- Louie - resoultion 00.58 is the board acceptance of the transition plan.
- (bill... which version?)
- Ray - have a better process in future.
2. Primary transition - drc
drc - operational requirements of the transition.
- Should refine things like 2870 for the DM.
- What are the technical requirements for roviding the service
- Rootops need to be comfortable.
- Louie - what is the schedule.
- drc - 15aug is a nice target for a first draft.
- Louie - why do the root ops consider this important vs rssac.
- drc - root-ops bear the brunt of failure in the user community.
- RSSAC is an advisory
- Louie - document should be guided by performance vs operations.
- Bill - ops is a consideration.
- drc - anything that affects operations is a concern.
- Louie - only NSI publishes - will work with them
- drc/bill - operational impact is real.
- Rootops can advise rssac & rssac can advise ICANN.
- (do to overlap how can rssac advise icann w/o rootops)
- Markk - can icann publish expectaions (timeframes et.al.)?
- Louie - schedule is important. (missing data) - don't want a
- 7/8 month slip. Want this by 31aug2000.
1) Recommend an enhanced
arch. - 00.58 approved.
2) Proceedural plan on transition. "shifting" - onestep plan approved by rssac
3) Implementation plan (concreate dates)
4) Document IANA proceedures (what drc holds?)
5) The contract for services.
- MarkK - "here to help" -
- Ray - does all this need to be in stone or can we have "jello" that can be ammenable to DoC approval?
- Louie - ammenable.
- Karen - stuff..... seems to echo Louis thoughts. Are we comfortable and avoiding delays?
- Tom n. - ammendments to cooperative agreement pending?
- Karen - yes, there will need to be. Need to include ICANN et.al.
- (lots of discussion - generally we think these points are ok and we can try and meet the targets)
- Ray - has any thought been given to operations?
- Louie - run by staff.
3. Contractual process - MarkK/Louis
Major rewrite sent out "late". some comments received. more are desirable. DoC wants formal agreements for stablity. W/organizations not people. People are listed as ops. drawn from 2870 w/ modifications. RSSAC has an ongoing role in tweeking the specs. Something implementable now and can evolve to meet future needs. Exibit A needs careful review. The other document to our various legal staffing.
MarkK& Bill & Ray - what does it mean to "resign"?
Jun/Louie - two week turn time. (yeah right... :)
Missed getting notes for my stuff and Kato's