Public Participation Committee (PPC) Minutes
PPC Attendees: Jean-Jacques Subrenat – Chair; Gonzalo Navarro, Vanda Scartezini,
Katim Touray, and Kuo-Wei Wu
Apologies: Thomas Narten
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:
- Reviewed the minutes from the prior PPC meeting, and all voting members in attendance approved the minutes.
- Received an update from Staff on the Meetings for the Next Decade consultation
that is ongoing, and discussed ideas for achieving broader input and participation
into the first phase of the consultation, including the hosting of a webinar
and the exploration of tools outside of online surveys. The PPC also discussed
planning for the next phase of the consultation and the need to simplify
the proposed process.
- Staff to prepare note for the PPC suggesting the organization and timing of a webinar, to address PPC member comments.
- Staff to present a more simplified process and timeline for the second phase of the meetings consultation, and circulate within week to the PPC members.
- Received an update from Staff on the Public Participation Review project
outline, and the proposal to seek expertise from outside sources. The PPC
agreed that further reflection was required to evaluate the potential contributions
to the organization, and Staff shall proceed with work to achieve consultations.
- Staff to prepare note for the PPC with overall reflections of the contributions anticipated from each of the two sources identified to date, and guidance on the approach to the potential service providers.
- PPC member Katim Touray volunteered to help draft interchange with International Public Participation Association. Draft expected in a few days.
- Received an update from Staff on the selection process of venues for upcoming
ICANN international meetings, and the results of the public comment period
on the revision of the selection process. Staff also provided an update
on the recent opening of a call for meeting selection sites for upcoming
meetings. Staff confirmed that a recommendation would be made prioritizing
potential meeting locations, with a reminder of criteria.
- Staff to prepare a note for PPC members, which could then be shared with the full Board on the progress made on the selection process to date.
- Received an update from Staff on the status of hiring a new manager of public participation and engagement.
- The Chair requested that the items identified at the previous PPC meeting
regarding ICANN’s linguistic policy and programme be carried over for action.
- Staff to perform test of remote simultaneous interpretation including the use of video. The Chair invited Staff to provide suggestions for this testing.
- Staff to review the usage of requested linguistic services at the ICANN international meetings and the needs justifying those requests, to allow for the creation of an operational process, including cost-based information. This should include updates made between the Nairobi meeting and the Brussels meeting, and planning for Cartagena.
- PPC to provide guidance to Staff on useful metrics for evaluation of usage of linguistic services.