Minutes - Public Participation Committee (PPC)
PPC Attendees: Jean-Jacques Subrenat – Chair, Dennis Jennings, Thomas Roessler and Mike Silber
Apologies: Thomas Narten and Katim Touray
Other Board members present: Peter Dengate Thrush – Board Chair
Invited Attendees: Gonzalo Navarro, George Sadowsky and Jonne Soininen
Staff Attendees: Doug Brent – COO; Nick Ashton Hart, Carole Cornell, Kieren McCarthy - GMPP, Christina Rodriguez, Amy Stathos, Theresa Swinehart, and Nick Tomasso
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:
- Discussed the new context of ICANN with the Affirmation of Commitments
(AoC) and the challenges and opportunities presented, and the forthcoming
departure of the General Manager for Public Participation (“GMPP”).
- PPC to suggest qualifications for CEO consideration when evaluating GMPP candidates.
- Discussed the Document Deadline Policy that was posted for public
comment for 30 days and discussed at the online public session in September.
The PPC discussed some minor revisions to be made within the Policy,
particularly to executive summary and translation provisions. The PPC
also noted the ongoing process that will be required to optimize the
Policy in the future, including online ratings of documents. The PPC
also discussed processes for setting and publication of meeting agendas,
and archiving presentations. The present voting members of the PPC approved
a recommendation to the Board to adopt the Policy, pending staff revisions.
- Staff to revise Policy to present to the Board for approval and implementation.
- Discussed the agenda for the PPC’s session with the public in Seoul
and reviewed the topics to be presented, including (i) ICANN public meeting
schedules and new models to meet the organizational needs of ICANN and
the community; and (ii) ICANN translation and linguistic policy. For
this session in Seoul, Committee Chair suggested that current Members
take part in the presentations .
- Staff to provide PPC members with discussion points in advance of public session., with a suggested allocation of topics to Committee Members.
- Staff to continue working on proposals regarding new models for ICANN public meetings.
- Staff to provide briefing to PPC on challenges faced by organization on translation and interpretation, including cost and cost efficiency.
- Received a staff update on the Seoul public forum agenda and discussed
the forum with the Chair of the Board, including the continued use of
the dual microphone system, the use of a countdown clock, potential innovations
to allow for the inclusion of statements while maximizing time for interactive
questions, and integration of remote participants.
- Staff to provide suggestions on public forum items in briefing to the Chair of the Board prior to the Seoul Public Forum.
- The PPC thanked the outgoing GMPP, Kieren McCarthy, for his great contribution to the PPC and innovations introduced during his tenure.