Minutes | Organizational Effectiveness Committee (OEC) Meeting
OEC Attendees: Khaled Koubaa - Chair, Avri Doria, Lito Ibarra, George Sadowsky, Leon Sanchez and Matthew Shears
Executive and Staff Attendees: Michelle Bright, Franco Carrasco, Aaron Jimenez, Samantha Eisner, Negar Farzinnia, Larisa Gurnick, Lars Hoffmann, Wendy Profit, and Theresa Swinehart
The following is a summary of discussions, decisions, and actions identified:
The Meeting was called to order at 1:00 p.m. local time in Genval, Belgium.
- Agenda – The Chair established the agenda for the meeting and gave an overview of the items to be discussed.
Update on the Key Changes to the Draft Operating Standards – ICANN organization provided a comprehensive overview on the key updates to the Operating Standards, incorporating feedback from public comment (wherever possible), and best practices and lessons learned during the Specific Review work since the inception of the new Bylaws. The public comment on Operating Standards was opened on 17 October 2017 and remained open through 2 February 2018. A total of ten comments were received, including from the GAC, GNSO Council and ccNSO Council. ICANN organization also incorporated some items from the public comments received on the short and long-term options for ICANN reviews.
To address these items, ICANN organization is currently developing new sections of content for the Draft Operating Standards and modifying current sections. Some key areas where the Operating Standards will be updated include:
- scope setting;
- nomination of Review Team (RT) candidates;
- SO/AC Chair Selection of RT members;
- RT's reporting requirements;
- monitoring review progress; and
new sections on roles and responsibilities for Specific Reviews.
- ICANN organization to provide confirmation to the OEC on the prescribed timeframe for the nomination of RT candidates.
- Based on the suggestions and feedback from the OEC during the meeting, ICANN organization will update the "Operating Standards: Update Overview" document and thereafter circulate it to the OEC for its agreement and circulation to the Board.
- Subject to the OEC and Board input and agreement, ICANN organization to socialize potential improvements with the community (i.e., announcement of webinars, a public session at ICANN63, public comment period). It is anticipated that the Board will adopt the Operating Standards in March/April 2019.
- Action Items:
Briefing on Annual Review Implementation Report: Next Steps– Under Section 4.5 of the Bylaws, ICANN organization is required to produce an Annual Review Implementation Report on the state of the accountability and transparency reviews.
ICANN organization briefed the OEC that the first Annual Review Implementation Report would cover fiscal year 2018, and subsequently, it will be on a fiscal-year basis. The report will be a narrative to inform the ICANN community, as well as the broader community, on the following:
- Conduct of Specific Reviews;
- Status of Operating Standards; and
- Status of implementation of Board-approved recommendations issued by the Specific Review Teams.
ICANN organization further informed the OEC of the proposed timeline for the Annual Review Implementation Report:
Fiscal Year 2018:
- October 2018: ICANN organization drafts first Report for OEC approval
- November 2018: Board resolution to publish Report
Fiscal Year 2019:
- July/August 2019: OEC briefed on 2nd Annual Review Implementation Report
- August/September 2019: ICANN organization drafts 2nd Report for OEC approval
October/November 2019: Board resolution to publish report
- ICANN organization to organize a webinar and/or session at the next ICANN meeting to socialize the Annual Review Implementation Report to the community.
Any Other Business
Competition, Consumer Trust & Consumer Choice Review (CCT Review): ICANN organization reported that the CCT Review Team has submitted its Final Report to the Board. Previously, the Board has provided input/feedback on the CCT Draft Report.
- ICANN organization to draft a note for the OEC to send to the Board summarizing expected next steps for the Board.
- ICANN organization to draft a note from the Board in acknowledging the receipt of the Final Report via email to the CCT Review Team.
The Chair called the meeting to a close at 2:30 p.m. local time (Genval, Belgium).
Published on 05 October 2018