Minutes - IANA Committee (IC) Meeting
Committee members present: Harald Alvestrand – chair, Steve Crocker, Katim Touray, and Suzanne Woolf.
Committee members absent and sending apologies: Raimundo Beca and Thomas Narten
Staff Members Present: Doug Brent, David Conrad, Kim Davies, Samantha Eisner, Robby Markowicz, Kurt Pritz, Amy Stathos, and Leo Vegoda.
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:
- Discussed and unanimously approved the minutes from the prior meeting.
- Received an update from staff on the action list identified at previous
- Staff to notify committee where there are significant updates to process documents posted on the website, including the DNS technical checks document and glossary.
- Staff to continue work to identify all activities within the IANA functions department of ICANN for information and project prioritization.
- Discussed creation of an IC meeting schedule for the remainder of
- Staff to initiate scheduling discussions via email.
- Received an update from staff on the progress of Root Zone signing discussions and architecture work and positive progress made on all fronts. Also discussed the ongoing work towards technical requirement specifications and received a report that NTIA, ICANN and VeriSign continue to work towards scheduling testing processes. Staff also reported on generic signing infrastructure and architecture for use with ICANN-related zones and signing of individual ICANN-related domain names. Staff also reported on status of independent work on parallel root infrastructure.
- Discussed the status of discussions to achieve the signing of dot-ARPA
as rapidly as possible.
- Staff to continue to take all necessary steps to work towards rapid signing of dot-ARPA.
- Received an update from staff on the beta for processing IN-ADDR.ARPA and IP6.ARPA that is being tested by the Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) and the development resulting from the beta.
- Received update on the process for the random, fair and nondiscriminatory
distribution of the remaining IPv4 /8 networks to RIRs to address the
potential of some networks having prior use associated with them, and
the first use of the process after receiving request for allocation.
Staff noted that the NRO was consulted with prior to the implementation
of the process.
- Staff to draft public announcement of process.
- Staff to notify IC in the future if there are any changes made to the process.
- Received update on development of policy on updating glue records and consultation with external expert to evaluate the policy and provide a proposal on modification prior to the ICANN Seoul meeting.
- Received update of the status of the “XMLization” of registries, with
goal to be completed by end of year, and putting a “combined view” of
IPv6 address registry online in the near future.
- Staff to provide IC with reporting on the outcomes of projects of this type to assist in quantifying the work done in performance of the IANA Functions contract.
- Received update on the RFC Inventory Status project, to identify all
potential IANA function actions identified therein. Staff reports that
approximately 75% of the RFCs have been examined to date.
- Staff to provide the IC with statistical information on the status and continued relevance of the IANA function actions identified.
- Received update on the Root Zone Management (RZM) automation parallel
testing initiated during the ICANN Sydney meeting, and the discovery
of inconsistencies requiring further changes to software by VeriSign
prior to continuation of testing. Staff reported on the cooperative work
being done to reinstitute the testing, and the opportunity presented
to add additional functionality in the re-development period.
- Staff to provide update to IC if there will be any significant impact to the schedule for the RZM automation process.
- Received update on the status of the Root Zone process review and
the status of work of the outside consultant engaged for the review.
- Staff to provide IC with consultant’s statement of work.
- Received update on the status of the IANA Business Excellence initiative and the continual process for implementation of the business excellence model and identification of objectives.
- Received an update on the status of the Root Zone scaling study and discussed the ongoing work by staff and the Root Zone steering group to deliver a draft report.