Structural Improvements Committee Meeting Minutes
SIC Attendees: Roberto Gaetano (Chair), Raimundo Beca, Mike Silber, and Jean-Jacques Subrenat
Apologies: Rita Rodin Johnston
Other Board Member attendees: Rod Beckstrom -CEO, Peter Dengate Thrush – Board Chair, and Ray Plzak
Invited Attendees; George Sadowsky, Gonzalo Navarro, and Jonne Soininein
Staff attendees: John Jeffrey – General Counsel, Nick Ashton Hart, Samantha Eisner, Rob Hoggarth, Marco Lorenzoni, Denise Michel, and Diane Schroeder
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:
- Discussed and voting members present approved minutes from last meeting.
- Received a staff update on the responses to the Request for Proposals (RFP) to serve as the external reviewer for the ccNSO organizational review. Of the eight responses, the selection panel recommended the SIC approve Items International to serve as the external reviewer, and noted that proposed review team is multinational and multicultural. The voting members of the SIC unanimously approved selection of Items International as the external reviewer. The Chair noted the success of the selection process under the recent systematization of the Organizational Review (“OR”) process.
- Staff to notify all entities responding to the RFP that SIC selected a reviewer.
- SIC to forward notification to the Board that SIC selected a reviewer.
- Received an update from the Chair on progress in identifying potential members of an ASO review Working Group.
- Chair to work throughout week to provide the SIC with a proposal for the composition of the ASO review Working Group.
- Received staff update on the status of the implementation of the items approved by the Board from the ALAC review Working Group final report. Staff presented an outline of an implementation plan setting forth the various recommendations and updated the SIC on the procedure within the ALAC to arrive at the statement for the Board. In relation to a recommendation of the ALAC review report on strengthening translation policies, the SIC requests staff to forward to the Public Participation Committee (PPC) information on the organization’s translation work and a draft translation policy that was prepared some years ago. Staff reported that the At-Large community is developing a draft process for the selection of a voting director to the Board.
- Staff to assist in directing a review of translation issues to the Public Participation Committee.
- Received staff update on the four pending applications to form new constituencies in the GNSO. The SIC noted that it was premature to make any final decisions on approval of new constituencies prior to the seating of the new GNSO Council and further exploring concerns about new constituency structures.
- Staff to prepare briefing for SIC regarding status of pending constituency applications, for forwarding to applicants pending SIC approval.
- SIC members to continue discussions with GNSO participants to identify and address remaining concerns with constituency structures.
- Received staff update on the process of reconfirming the existing constituencies within the GNSO, and noted that that constituencies are currently working to update their charters to reflect the new GNSO structure as a preliminary matter, with further revisions to follow.
- Staff to provide a proposed resolution to the SIC regarding the ongoing work on the constituency charters, for SIC review and approval for recommendation to the Board.
- Discussed and received staff update on the OR related meetings in Seoul.
- Staff to assist in identifying time for outgoing SIC to brief incoming members.
- Received staff update on the ongoing work and public consultation on the New GNSO Council Operating Procedures.
- The SIC thanked the Chair for his service and his extraordinary commitment.