Minutes – Board Risk Committee (BRC) Meeting
BRC Attendees: Rafael Lito Ibarra (Co-Chair), Akinori Maemura, Ram Mohan (Co-Chair), Kaveh Ranjbar, and Jonne Soininen.
BRC Member Apologies: Matthew Shears.
ICANN org Attendees: Xavier Calvez (Chief Financial Officer), James Caulfield (Vice President, Enterprise Risk Management), Ashwin Rangan (Sr. VP Engineering & Chief Information Officer), and Amy Stathos (Deputy General Counsel).
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:
- Risk Management Implementation Timelines – The BRC received an update about the revised timelines for the two major projects taking place this year: an updated functional and organizational level risk identification process and an operational resiliency planning exercise. With respect to the functional risk identification process, ICANN organization is currently engaged in this process, which is on target as scheduled. The risk identification process will create an updated functional risk register. The functional risk register will then feed into an organizational level risk register. The organizational risk register will them inform the risk appetite statement that will be created. The risk appetite statement will describe the types of risk that we have at ICANN and our level of appetite for each of the risks or groups of risks. The BRC engaged in a discussion regarding the adding of certain additional risks to the organizational level risk register. With respect to the operational resiliency planning project, that is on schedule for the second half of the year.
- Quarterly Risk Register Update – The BRC received an update on the quarterly risk register. Across the top ten risks, inherent risk went up slightly, but control effectiveness associated with some new risks is better than it was previously, and as a result, residual risk went up. The BRC then discussed the changes made to the organizational level risk register since last quarter.
Draft Risk Report to the Board – The BRC discussed the draft Risk Report to the Board. The BRC discussed presenting the Risk Report and accompanying presentation to the full Board during the May Board Workshop.
- ICANN org to provide draft Risk Report to the ICANN org President and CEO for review.
- BRC members to provide further comments to the Risk Report via email.
- IT – New Cybersecurity Framework – The BRC was presented with some general knowledge about the value of cybersecurity frameworks and received a brief introduction to the various available cybersecurity frameworks.
Published on 22 May, 2018