Board Risk Committee (RC) – Minutes
RC Attendees: Steve Crocker, Ram Mohan, Thomas Narten, Gonzalo Navarro, Mike Silber – Chair, Judith Duavit Vazquez, and Suzanne Woolf
Other Board Attendees: Chris Disspain, Bill Graham, George Sadowsky and Bruce Tonkin
Staff Attendees: Akram Atallah – Chief Operating Officer; John Jeffrey – General Counsel and Secretary; Megan Bishop, Michelle Bright, Samantha Eisner, Daniel Halloran, Patrick Jones, Jeff Moss and Amy Stathos
Invited Attendee: Jonne Soininen
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:
- Minutes of Previous Meeting: The RC approved the minutes of its previous meeting in April 2013.
Review of Action Items: The RC reviewed the open action items from the previous meeting. Regarding the alignment of the IT Best Practices Implementation plan with the Strategic Plan, the BRC agreed that due to the pending strategic planning work, this item should be slated for discussion at the RC meeting in Durban, South Africa. The BRC also discussed the role of an Enterprise Risk Manager within ICANN and the support that role will bring to the RC. The RC discussed how to provide staff with feedback on ICANN's risk appetite and mitigation efforts.
- RC members to provide thoughts to the RC regarding the scope of authority of an Enterprise Risk Manager.
- Staff to provide recommendations for how staff would like to receive feedback from the RC on risk-related items, so that a framework can be discussed with the RC in Durban.
IT Best Practices review & recommendations: The RC continued a discussion about the summary of recommendations made following a review of IT systems and operations and a proposal for incorporating IT Best Practices. The RC noted that due to the delay in the delivery of the materials, the RC was not prepared to have an in-depth discussion on the document.
- Staff to schedule an RC call to discuss the IT Best Practices Review.
- ERM Update: The RC received a short update on the Enterprise Risk Management work, as well as a review of an incident report.