Minutes | Board Governance Committee (BGC) Meeting
BGC Attendees: Becky Burr (Chair), Maarten Botterman, Ron da Silva, Ram Mohan, and Lousewies van der Laan
Other Board Member Attendees: Sarah Deutsch, Chris Disspain, Léon Sanchez, Matthew Shears
ICANN Org Attendees: John Jeffrey (General Counsel and Secretary), Aaron Jimenez (Senior Manager, Board Operations), Vinciane Koenigsfeld (Director, Board Operations), Elizabeth Le (Associate General Counsel), Wendy Profit (Manager, Board Operations), and Amy Stathos (Deputy General Counsel)
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken, and actions identified:
- Three Year Rolling Plan for Board Skills – The Committee discussed the update on the three-year rolling plan for Board skills (the Plan), which is one of the Board priorities. The BGC noted that the premise behind the Plan is to understand what skills are needed and what skills are available (presently and over the next three years) in order to have an understanding of where emphasis is needed with respect to Board member training and to allow the Board to inform the Nominating Committee (NomCom) of skillsets that may be needed over time as part of the Board's annual skillsets guidance to the NomCom. The Committee noted that a plan is needed on how it can better collect the skillsets information and sought input from the Committee members as well as other Board members in attendance of ways the Board can obtain the information. The BGC Chair suggested developing a skills matrix template of the skills needed for the Board and understanding who has which of those skills at which expertise and a gap analysis and a plan to get there. The matrix can be developed through the email list, and then Committee will thereafter discuss the compilation of the input to the matrix. Once vetted, the skills matrix will be circulated as a survey to the full Board. The Committee discussed the types of inputs that should go into the matrix such as language skills, diversity, etc. The BGC Chair noted that she will kick start the process by circulate the a sharpen proposal and thereafter ask committee member volunteer to develop a straw document to circulate to the Committee via email.
- BGC Chair circulate the a sharpen preproposal for input from the Committee via email.
- BGC committee member volunteer develop a straw document to circulate to the Committee via email.
- The BGC Chair to reach out the other Board Committees about their succession plans.
- ICANN org to revise and distribute the survey to the Board for completion, the results of which will then be distributed to the selecting bodies.
- ICANN org to update the survey, if needed.
- Board priorities – The BGC noted that the Board priorities list should be expanded to include activities that are community driven. The goal is really for people to already come back with suggestions for activities and priorities for things should be done next year so we can have a very well-prepared meeting in Vancouver.
- Role of the BGC in appointing the Accountability and Transparency Review 3 – The BGC noted that this will be included in the agenda for its next meeting.