Board Governance Committee (BGC) Meeting Minutes
BGC members present: Roberto Gaetano, Steve Goldstein, and Dennis Jennings – chair
BGC member absent and sends apologies: Rita Rodin Johnston
Staff Members Present: Samantha Eisner, John Jeffrey, Diane Schroeder and Amy Stathos
The following is a summary of discussion, actions taken and actions identified:
- Discussed and unanimously approved minutes from prior meeting.
- Discussed tools to allow intercessional approval of minutes, which will allow for faster posting to the community and provide a model for other Board committees. Action: Staff to provide assistance in use of Board online tools to allow for intercessional approval.
- Discussed status of Committee action items identified at prior meeting. Action: Staff to send reminder to committee member about action from prior meeting.
- Discussed slating of new Board members to Board Committees and reviewed the membership needs of Board Committees. Action: Chair to consult with Board members and liaisons regarding suggested slating to committees, so the committee can recommend slate to the Board for approval in Sydney.
- Discussed revisions to Board Committee and Leadership Selection Procedures . BGC unanimously approved revisions. Action: Staff to present to Board for approval.
- Discussed revised proposed Standard Operating Procedures for Communications with Board. Action: Staff and BGC to review latest revisions by chair and work towards online approval of document prior to Sydney.
- Discussed and received staff updates on Board training programs, including potential topics for upcoming training sessions.
- Discussed process for selecting the Nominating Committee (NomCom) Chair and the NomCom research and academia representative. Actions: Staff to post a call for expressions of interest for serving as NomCom Chair; BGC members to undertake outreach to seek interested community members for both positions.
- Discussed the process for the Board self-assessment. Action: Staff to facilitate engaging company for use of self-assessment tools; BGC to then engage in trial of self-assessment tools to determine if tools sufficient for use by Board as a whole.