Call for Input: Support for New gTLD Applicants
The ICANN board recently passed a resolution requesting that a Working Group develop a sustainable approach to providing support to applicants requiring assistance in applying for and operating new gTLDs. (http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-12mar10-en.htm#20)
The Working Group has outlined five objectives, two of which are:
- Objective 3: To identify what kinds of support (e.g. technical assistance, organizational assistance, financial assistance, fee reduction) and support timelines (e.g. support for the application period only, continuous support) are appropriate for new gTLD applicants fulfilling identified criteria.
- Objective 4: To identify potential providers of the identified kinds of support as well as appropriate mechanisms to enable support provisioning.
We are seeking input from the community on these two objectives, and will create a “pool” of providers of these services for these applicants. In order to progress with our work, we are asking for a “show of hands” from interested providers.
The following types of support have been identified:
- Extended outreach to potential applicants-to make them aware of the opportunity and to allow them extra time to prepare
- Application writing assistance
- Registry services-outsourced or assistance with local operations
- DNS services
- Infrastructure-IPV6 compatible hardware/networks
- Education-DNSSEC implementation
- Legal & documentation – providing support to cover legal costs or process docs
- Translation – The Applicant Guidebook is only published in English- a disadvantage to many in the non-English speaking world
- Training – in areas like building a sustainability plan, marketing, and operations
- Assistance through the application process
Are there other types of support you could identify that a disadvantaged applicant might need to succeed in the gTLD application process?
Would your organization consider providing any of the support functions for disadvantaged applicants for free, or on a cost recovery basis, or for reduced rates?
Are you aware of any other providers (including yourself) that would support disadvantaged applicants?
Please post your responses to email@example.com, the working group mailing list.
A session and public discussions on the topic are scheduled for the Brussels meeting. There will be a public comment period and follow up with potential providers as the work progresses.
Thank you for your consideration.
Joint SO/AC Working Group on New gTLD Applicant Support