Request to Provide Input to Issue Report on Introduction of IDN ccTLDs
At its meeting on 2 October 2007, the ccNSO Council resolved to call for an Issue Report to examine the need for a Policy Development Process (ccPDP) to consider:
- Whether Article IX of the ICANN bylaws applies to IDN ccTLDs associated with the ISO 3166-1 two letter codes, and if it does not then to establish if Article IX should apply.
- Whether the ccNSO should launch a PDP to develop the policy for the selection and delegation of IDN ccTLDs associated with the ISO 3166-1 two-letter codes.
The Council requested that, in preparing the Issue Report, the Issue Manager identify policies, procedures, and/or by-laws that should be reviewed and, as necessary revised, in connection with the development and implementation of any IDN ccTLD policy.
The Council, also at the 2 October meeting, appointed Bart Boswinkel as Issue Manager by the ccNSO Council, responsible for producing the Issue Report.
The ccNSO Council has asked Bart Boswinkel to consider, in preparing the Issue Report and in proposing a time line for conducting each stage of the ccPDP, the joint ccNSO GAC Issues Paper, the technical limitations and requirements including the IDNA Guidelines, and any other matters that the Issue Manager considers to be of relevance, which includes the intermediate results and final outcome of the work of the IDNC Working Group (“fast track approach”).
To identify matters that are potentially relevant to the Issues Report, a comment period will open on 19 December 2007 and close on 25 January 2008. Comments can be submitted via email and will be archived for public review. The email address for comments and link to the archive will be published at the opening of the comment period.
Submit comments to email@example.com.
View comments at http://forum.icann.org/lists/idn-cctld-issues/.
In raising matters for consideration, it will be most helpful if you would:
- State your name and affiliation;
- Briefly identify the issue, concern, or idea you want to raise;
- Explain what the issue, concern, or idea;
- Explain your specific interest in the matter raised;
- Indicate why you think it is within the scope of the questions raised by the ccNSO Council (see above) .
It would be most helpful if you also identify any relevant publicly available documentation, for future reference.
Please note that it is not necessary at this stage to make suggestions to resolve any issues relating to an overall policy or answer any questions.