At Large Election: Update 1.1
Two important documents relating to ICANN's At Large Membership election process have been recently been posted on the ICANN website. Members of the Internet community are encouraged to review them, and to provide comments and input.
(A) NomCom Call for Recommendations and Expressions of Interest
The Nominating Committee has posted a Call for Recommendations and Expressions of Interest. The posting lists some key criteria for nomination and useful guidelines for input, along with a general timetable for its work. The NomCom actively requests input. For more information, please see the Nominating Committee's homepage.
(B) Proposed Rules for the Self-Nomination Process
A draft set of proposed rules for the self-nomination phase of the At Large election process has been posted, together with a public comment forum. The deadline for public comments is June 5.
Later this year, ICANN's At Large Members will choose 5 Directors for the ICANN Board. To become an At Large Member, please visit the At Large Membership homepage. The At Large Membership election process can be broken down into three distinct segments, with several components for each.
1. Determination of the ballot (now - August 20)
- Nomination by the Nominating Committee (now - July 20)
- Self-nomination (July 20 - August 20)
2. Campaign period (August 20 - September 20)
- Posting of web page for each candidate
- Notification of At Large Members via email
3. Vote by the At Large Members (September 20 - October 1)
- Casting of online ballots by At Large Members
- Counting of ballots
- Monitoring and oversight
- Announcement of results
The posted documents relate to the two components of item (1), above. ICANN's Election Committee is working to draft detailed rules for items (2) and (3), which will be posted for public review and comment over the coming months.