ICANN Extends Call for Expressions of Interest for 2012-2013 NomCom Chair-Elect
ICANN is extending the Call for Expressions of Interest for the 2012-2013 Nominating Committee Chair-Elect, announced on 16 May 2012, at http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-4-16may12-en.htm.
Those interested in serving in the position now have through 6 July 2012 to submit an Expression of Interest, which will be maintained as confidential. Expressions of Interest should be sent to NomComChairElect2013@icann.org.
Information on the Chair-Elect Position:
The Chair-Elect is a position created within the Bylaws as an outcome of the independent review of the NomCom. The Chair-Elect position is not a replacement of the Advisor to the NomCom Chair, and is not intended to fill an advisory role. Rather, the Chair-Elect will receive the benefit of training while serving alongside the Chair, gaining skills and knowledge to be applied for the Chair-Elect's anticipated succession into the role of the Chair. Candidates for Chair-Elect should possess the same skills as candidates for the Chair.
For more information about the NomCom see: http://nomcom.icann.org/
Position Description – Nominating Committee Chair
This position blends time management and negotiation skills with the practical aspects of conducting a world-wide search for individuals to fill various ICANN leadership positions. The NomCom Chair will be called on to schedule, organize and lead numerous in-person and telephonic meetings with a large committee of community members. The NomCom Chair is also responsible for managing the candidate identification and statement of interest process, with other committee members, and for managing the due diligence to be performed on nominated candidates, in cooperation with ICANN's General Counsel and any retained outside firm(s). Throughout all NomCom activities, the Chair is responsible for ensuring that all NomCom operating rules and procedures are followed, and that all required documentation and reports are prepared in a timely fashion and provided to the proper parties as necessary.
Skills and Experience
To properly serve as the NomCom Chair, the selected individual must have:
(i) adequate time available to undertake the role;
(ii) excellent communication and negotiation skills to manage a committee of 20-21 members;
(iii) a clear understanding of the duties and responsibilities of each position for which the NomCom is selecting candidates;
(iv) experience on or with a Board of Directors of organizations with similar scale, scope and diversity as ICANN;
(v) strong organization and leadership skills;
(vi) ability to remain unbiased;
(vii) no conflicts of interest, and
(viii) a thorough understanding of, and satisfy, all criteria set forth in ICANN Bylaws relating to the NomCom (see http://www.icann.org/en/about/governance/bylaws#VII).
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans and schedules NomCom meetings as required, including ensuring posting schedules for public review. Please see attached for a Listing of the NomCom activities.
- Appoints non-voting Associate Chair if so desired.
- Reports to ICANN Board and the community on status of the NomCom.
- Prepares and publishes the NomCom report.
- Ensures that NomCom operating rules and procedures are followed.
- Manages NomCom Selection Process, including:
- Approves outreach/advertising methods for attracting candidates.
- Conducts outreach with ICANN Constituencies, ACs and SOs (with Chairs of those groups), ICANN Board, and others.
- With other committee members, reviews and evaluates candidate Statements of Interest (SOIs) and references submitted during NomCom process
- Coordinates due diligence on nominated candidates in cooperation with ICANN's General Counsel and any outside firm(s) retained to perform due diligence activities.
- Approves posting of NomCom announcements and schedules on ICANN website.
- Ensures NomCom records are properly established, maintained and archived.
No person who is an employee of or is a paid consultant to ICANN (including the Ombudsman) shall simultaneously serve as a member of the NomCom, including the post of Chair or Chair-Elect.
All reasonable travel expenses and administrative costs incurred as a result of performing the duties as NomCom Chair or Chair-Elect in accordance with ICANN's policies will be reimbursed by ICANN upon the Chair or Chair-Elect's submission to ICANN of valid receipts and invoices.