Identifier Technology Health Indicators (ITHI)
During an open session at ICANN55 in Marrakech, ICANN unveiled a new initiative called Identifier Technology Health Indicators, or ITHI. This initiative is driven by Alain Durand, from ICANN's Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO), under the leadership of ICANN's CTO, David Conrad.
The scope of this ITHI initiative is all the Internet unique identifiers that ICANN helps coordinate, as outlined in the framework of the ICANN 2016-2020 Strategic Plan, Section 2.1 to "foster and coordinate a healthy, secure, stable, and resilient identifier ecosystem."
The goal of ITHI is to develop metrics to measure the health of the Internet's unique identifier system that ICANN helps coordinate. As soon as those metrics are defined, ICANN will measure and track them over a substantive period of time to see the evolution of the "State of the Identifier Technology".
The ITHI initiative was broken into two major phases:
- In Phase 1, ICANN engaged with the various operational communities (Domain Names, Numbering Resources and Protocol Parameters) to define an initial set of metrics related to identifier technologies health indicators. Following SSAC 077 recommendation, this work started by working in collaboration with each operational community to take an in-depth look at the strategic risk they are facing related to identifier technologies.
- In Phase 2, where we stand now, ICANN is further refining those metrics with the various operational communities and publishing regular reports on the measurements associated with those metrics. This phase is a long-term, ongoing project.
ICANN has set-up a mailing list firstname.lastname@example.org to host discussions about this initiative.
ITHI data is being collected. Please note the data is still very preliminary and as such is not published on ICANN public website. It is available on a password protected staging website.
Please contact email@example.com to get access to the staging website if you are interested.
ITHI metric definition
ICANN has defined seven ITHI Metrics:
- M1: inaccuracy of Whois Data
- M2: Domain Name Abuse
- M3: DNS Root Traffic Analysis
- M4: DNS Recursive Server Traffic Analysis
- M5: Behavior of recursive resolvers in the DNS system
- M6: IANA registries for DNS parameters
- M7: DNSSEC Deployment.
Material from events
- ITHI presentation at ICANN 61
- ITHI presentation at ICANN 60 and ICANN60 ITHI numbers.
- ITHI workshop at ICANN's DNS Symposium, Madrid 2017.
- ITHI presentation at ICANN58
- ITHI presentation at ICANN57
- ICANN55 Kick-Off Slides [PDF, 776 KB]
Frequently Asked Questions
For further information, please see our FAQ page.