Ce contenu est uniquement disponible en

  • English

Minutes | Meeting of the Technical Committee of the Board (BTC) | 20 December 2022

Board Member and Liaison Attendees: Avri Doria (Chair), Alan Barrett, Edmon Chung, James Galvin, Christian Kaufmann, Harald Alvestrand, Wes Hardaker, and Patricio Poblete

Other Board Members and Liaisons Present: Manal Ismail and Suzanne Woolf

ICANN Organization Attendees: Adiel Akplogan (Vice President for Technical Engagement), Jennifer Bryce (Project Manager), Franco Carrasco (Board Operations Specialist), Kinga Kowalcyzk (Administrative Assistant), Matt Larson (VP, Research), and Sarah Zagha (Counsel)

The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken, and actions identified:

  1. BTC Update Session with the Name Collision Analysis Project (NCAP) DG Admin Co-Chairs: Progress on Study 2 – The Committee received an update on the NCAP work from Suzanne Woolf, who was welcomed by the Committee as the new NCAP DG Admin co-chair, along with Matt Thomas. She noted that Study 2 is progressing well, and that the Study will be up for public comment by ICANN76, with a public session to be held before ICANN76 during prep week.

    • Action Item:

      • A deep dive presentation for the Committee of the Initial Draft of Study 2 to be scheduled for the first quarter of 2023.
  2. Approval of Pending Committee Meeting's Report – The Committee was informed that an edited version of the 23 November 2022 Committee Meeting Preliminary Report had been circulated via email for review and approval.

    • Action item:

      • The Committee to review and approve the edited version of the 23 November 2022 Committee Meeting Preliminary Report circulated via email.
  3. Action Items Review – The Chair established the agenda for the meeting. Four open agenda items were discussed:

    • Action Item #1: A deep dive presentation for the Committee of the Initial Draft of Study 2 to be scheduled for the first quarter of 2023. ICANN org presented this open action item to the new NCAP DG Admin co-Chair for her consideration, and she voiced support for it.
    • Action Item #2: The Chair to work with volunteers Alan Barrett, Wes Hardaker, and Harald Alvestrand on continuing the discussion and possible revisions of the Committee Charter. The Chair noted that a document has been started, and the small group is in the process of inserting relevant questions and comments into the document.
    • Action Item #3: The Committee to review its Work Plan for 2023, which includes alignment with a revised charter if needed, and send ICANN org any comments for adjustment, if applicable. This action item is subject to the completion of the Action Item #2.
    • Action Item #4: The Chair to work with volunteers Edmon Chung, Jim Galvin, and Wes Hardaker on outlining the topics associated with the Discussion on Blockchain Based Naming Service recurring agenda item, which will be used to set the agenda of future Committee meetings.
  4. ARR Update: RSSAC057 Implementation – ICANN org gave the Committee a brief presentation on the implementation of RSSAC057: Requirements for Measurements of the Local Perspective on the Root Server System. It was noted that the RSSAC wishes to have a tool or set of tools that can easily measure the local perspective of the RSS at various locations, or points, on the Internet. This allows Internet users to share measured data from their network perspective and help inform root server operators (RSOs) where to deploy new instances for greater global coverage. ICANN org made note that the RSSAC is making two recommendations. First, the RSSAC recommends that a tool, or set of tools, be built based on the requirements articulated in Section 3 of the RSSAC057 document. Second, the RSSAC recommends that the ICANN Board identify a person or group to collaborate with the RSSAC Caucus on further development of a data repository as described in Section 5 of the RSSAC057 document. ICANN org concluded its presentation by proposing that it will engage with the RSSAC Caucus to prepare a proposal to create the data repository. The Committee subsequently discussed and voiced support of this action.

    • Action Item:

      • ICANN org to compose a draft resolution in accordance with Recommendation #2 of RSSAC057 for review by the full ICANN Board.
  5. Planning for a Deep Dive into the SubPro ODA Technical Areas/Issues – The Chair opened the discussion by stating that as part of the due diligence on the SubPro ODA, the SubPro Caucus is requesting four deep dives (aka challenges, walks through, and Board briefings). The Chair reminded the Committee that the SubPro team has requested that the Committee address the technical issues related to SubPro. The initial technical issues to be considered before accepting the Final Report are currently as follows: (1) RSP Pre-Approval Program and the timing concerns to get this in place before opening of the round; (2) Root zone scaling and considerations of any impact from SAC100 and RSSAC031; (3) Rate limiting and considerations of any impact from SAC100; (4) Reserved names and whether there are any implications from NCAP; (5) IDNs, any timing considerations from EPDP, outreach to the Council, and conference with the Board IDN/UA Working Group about ongoing discussions; and (6) IT Architecture and O2 flexibility. The Chair encouraged the Committee to read the New Generic Top-Level Domain (gTLD) Subsequent Procedures Operational Operation Design Assessment (ODA) and note areas that any other technical issues may arise.

    • Action Items:

      • ICANN org to send out a poll in order to schedule a Committee meeting with the SubPro Board Caucus.
      • The Committee to review the SubPro ODA and note any areas where any other technical issues may arise.
  6. Discussion on Alternative Naming Systems – The Chair suggested that the Committee occasionally invite speakers to discuss topics regarding this issue, and the suggestion received support from the Committee. The Chair discussed a proposal by Wes Hardaker that the Committee invite the main author of a paper concerning the challenges of blockchain-based naming systems for malware defenders to give a version of the presentation she gave to the Internet Architecture Board (IAB) to the Committee. Wes Hardaker noted that the paper, written by a student at the University of San Diego, specifically concerns what malware uses domain names (regardless of whether the names are DNS or blockchain naming systems names) and where takedown points could occur. He stated that several of the researcher's conclusions may be of direct interest to ICANN. The Chair suggested that the author of this paper be invited to present the findings to the Committee, a suggestion that received support from the Committee.

    • Action Item:

      • Board Ops to schedule a 45-minute time slot during a future Committee meeting in which the researcher of the paper discussed above will present her findings to the Committee.
  7. Priority Project Updates – The Committee received an update on the following projects:

    • SAC113 Implementation Update: ICANN org noted that the SAC113 implementation process as proposed is now documented and will be published within the coming days for public comment.
    • Domain Name System Security Facilitation Initiative Technical Study Group (DSFI-TSG) Report - Implementation Update: ICANN org members reported that the feasibility assessment has been publicly announced. It was noted that the next step will be for ICANN org to engage with relevant stakeholders on the result of the feasibility assessment to gain external input, which will be considered within the final document.
    • Root Server System Governance Working Group (RSS GWG) 037/038 Implementation: It was reported that the GWG held a workshop in Washington, D.C. during the first week of December 2022. The workshop was productive, and the group is moving ahead with finalizing its principles for the governance model. Currently, the principles are categorized in three different areas: the separation and balance of powers in the overall governance model, designation and removal of RSOs, and finances. ICANN org will work with Brad Verd to finalize the principles based on the discussion during the workshop and these principles will be circulated to the working group to assess the level of support for each principle.
  8. Updates from Technical Liaisons – The Committee received an update from the following Board Technical Liaisons:

    • SSAC (James Galvin): The Committee was notified that the NCAP project is progressing well. By the first quarter of 2023, the first draft of deliverables will be completed, and available for public comment before ICANN76. A webinar on the NCAP work product during prep week will be given. It was also noted that the Work Party on Registrar Name Management is underway. Its work on analyzing registrar behavior when managing DNS glue records, as well as the possibility of domain name hijacking, were discussed. Finally, the Committee was reminded that in 2023, the SSAC chair, Rod Rasmussen, and the vice-chair, Julie Hammer, will term out, and that a consequent nomination is targeted for June 2023. The Committee was also reminded that while the SSAC will put forward a recommendation for its Chair, per the ICANN Bylaws, the SSAC's chair and members are appointed by the ICANN Board. The Chair posed the question of whether the nomination is sent directly to the ICANN Board, or whether the nomination must pass through the Committee before reaching the ICANN Board.

      • Action Item:

        • Board Ops to inform the Chair of the Committee's involvement (if any) in the process of nominating and approving the SSAC Chair.
    • RSSAC (Wes Hardaker): The Committee was informed that Jeff Osborn has been elected as the next chair of RSSAC beginning 01 January 2023. It was also stated that the ongoing technical work parties include the next version of RSSAC001 (Advisory on Service Expectation of Root Servers), RSSAC002 (RSSAC Advisory on Measurements of the Root Server System), and on RFC7720 (DNS Root Name Service Protocol and Deployment Requirements).
    • IETF (Harald Alvestrand): No significant update reported.
  9. Any Other Business – No other business reported.

The Chair called the meeting to a close.

Published on 6 February 2023