Ce contenu est uniquement disponible en
Implementation of the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) Improvements process requires the amendment of a substantial number of the ICANN Bylaws to reflect new GNSO structures, processes and mechanisms.
Today, a packaged set of draft Bylaws and additional Staff recommendations is being posted for Public review and comment so that the ICANN Board can move forward with Bylaw amendments as soon as practicable.
Approving the Bylaws amendments is a key step toward seating a newly structured GNSO Council at the ICANN meeting in Seoul, Korea this coming October as directed by the ICANN Board.
Background and Explanation:
The draft Bylaw amendments are the work product of a GNSO Council Restructure Drafting Team (consisting of the entire GNSO Council and additional GNSO community members) which has been working on a set of Bylaws Amendments for the last several months. The version developed by the GNSO Drafting Team has not been approved by the GNSO Council, and is the subject of a pending motion for approval at the next GNSO Council meeting. The additional draft Staff recommendations are designed to address additional procedural areas that are impacted by the draft changes and by community discussion during the ICANN meeting in Sydney, Australia.
In June 2008, the Board of Directors endorsed a series of recommendations on how to improve the GNSO’s structures and operations. For the past year the community has been engaged in substantial discussions regarding various components of the recommendations including development of a new Policy development process, creation of a new Working Group Model for policy development, the restructuring of the GNSO Council and a variety of other process and mechanism changes designed to increase participation in the GNSO’s work efforts.
Relevant Board Resolution, Bylaws and Constituency Submissions:
- GNSO Improvements Information Page - http://gnso.icann.org/en/improvements/
- GNSO Improvements Report adopted by ICANN's Board (3 February 2008): http://www.icann.org/topics/gnso-improvements/gnso-improvements-report-03feb08.pdf
- Report To ICANN Board From Working Group on GNSO Council Restructuring (WG-GCR Report), 25 July 2008: http://www.icann.org/en/topics/gnso-improvements/gnso-council-restructuring-report-25jul08.pdf
- Minutes of the Special Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors, 28 August 2008: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-28aug08.htm
- Minutes of the Special Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors, 1 October 2008; http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-01oct08.htm
- Preliminary Report from the Special Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors, 11 December 2008; http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-2-11dec08.htm
- Minutes of the Special Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors, 23 April 2009; http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-23apr09.htm
- Minutes of the Special Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors, 21 May 2009; http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-21may09.htm
- Resolution of the Regular Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors, 26 June 2009: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-26jun09.htm#2
The Process From Here:
At the end of this Public Comment Forum period, the ICANN Staff will provide a summary/analysis of the comments submitted regarding the Bylaw amendments package. That summary/analysis will be shared with the community and the Board. The Board will ultimately make the decision on whether to approve the Bylaw Amendments.
It should be noted that the GNSO Improvements Report approved by the Board in June 2008 has additional guidelines and recommendations for the ongoing practices and processes of GNSO constituencies. It is expected that this work – particularly with respect to a new Policy Development Process, creation of a new Working Group Model and development of a new set of GNSO Council Operation Rules and Procedures - will be ongoing as part of the GNSO Improvements implementation efforts.
Deadline and How to Submit Comments:
The Staff is opening a 30-day public consultation forum, from 30 June 2009 through 29 July 2009, and invites community comments on this matter. The formal Public Comment Forum Box is located here: http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/public-comment-200907.html#gnso-restructure
To submit comments: firstname.lastname@example.org
To view comments: http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-council-draft/
Staff Responsible: Robert Hoggarth