ICANN Fellowship Program
The ICANN Fellowship Program seeks to help create a broader base of knowledgeable constituents to engage in the ICANN multistakeholder process and become the new voice of experience in their regions and on the global stage.
Through the Fellowship Program, ICANN provides coaching and travel assistance for individuals to attend an ICANN Public Meeting. During the meeting, program participants immerse in a "fast-track" experience into ICANN's multistakeholder process, with presentations about the many parts of ICANN and opportunities to network and interact with ICANN community members and staff.
Priority is given to candidates currently living in underserved and underrepresented communities around the world, those who represent diversity of gender, sector, region, experience, and expertise, and/or have established financial need.
Since its creation in 2007, the Fellowship Program has built a strong group of individuals who actively participate in the ICANN community and other parts of the Internet ecosystem. Their engagement ranges from writing articles and blogs, providing online or in-person public comments in regard to bottom-up policy building, engaging in Internet conferences and panel discussions, participating in working groups, mentoring newcomers, assisting our regional leaders and becoming leaders themselves.
Candidates from all regions and sectors are welcome to apply to the ICANN Fellowship Program.
Participants of the Fellowship Program must:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be interested in, or already engaged in, the various components of ICANN's work in policy building, the operation of the Domain Name System and the security and stability of the global Internet.
Be one of the following:
- Aware of but new to the ICANN environment,
- Familiar with ICANN but have not attended an ICANN Public Meeting in person, or
- Active participant at ICANN but in need of travel support to broaden knowledge and deepen engagement.
- NOT be involved in or associated with other ICANN supported travel programs at time of selection.
- If a Policy Forum, have successfully completed an ICANN Fellowship. If you are not a Fellowship Alumnus but from the region where the Policy Forum is taking place, check out the Regional Newcomers Fellowship Pilot.
- If selected, be able to attend the ICANN Public Meeting and required activities. Fellowship recipients are expected to be engaged prior to the meeting through coaching process, participate in ICANN Fellowship sessions during the ICANN Meeting, network and interact with program alumni and community members.
- If selected, submit a post-meeting report.
- If selected, participants are encouraged to actively contribute to ICANN policy development processes and Fellowship alumni network upon completion of the Fellowship Program.
The ICANN Fellowship Program follows a three-times participation guideline. It is expected that most first-time Fellows are beginning to understand ICANN's work and its multistakeholder process. Second and third time Fellows, on the other hand, should take the opportunity to further build on their experience and deepen their involvement and engagement in one of the ICANN communities.
Alumni of the ICANN Fellowship Program, including those who have already received multiple fellowships, may opt to apply as a Fellowship coach.
ICANN Fellowship applications for ICANN61 Community Forum in Puerto Rico and ICANN62 Policy Forum in Panama are now closed. Application round for ICANN63 Annual General Meeting in Barcelona opens on 20 March 2019, 11:59pm UTC.
Application Dates & Deadlines
|ICANN Meeting||ICANN Region||Meeting Dates||Opening of application round||Closing of application round||Announcement of selected Fellows|
|ICANN62 Policy Forum in Panama *||Latin America||25 - 28 June 2018||Closed||Closed||9 March 2018|
|ICANN63 Annual General Meeting in Barcelona||Europe||20 - 26 October 2018||20 March 2018 at 23:59 UTC||27 April 2018 at 23:59 UTC||27 July 2018|
|ICANN64 Community Forum in Kobe, Japan||Asia Pacific||9 - 14 March 2019||3 August 2018 at 23:59 UTC||14 September 2018 at 23:59 UTC||30 November 2018|
* Only those who have successfully completed an ICANN Fellowship (Fellowship Alumni) are eligible to apply for a Policy Forum fellowship. Newcomers to the Fellowship Program from the region where the Policy Forum takes place may be eligible to apply for the Regional Newcomers Fellowship Pilot.
Current Program Status
The following individuals had been selected to participate in ICANN62 to be held 25-28 June 2018 in Panama City, Panama, Latin America and Caribbean.
See information about community consultation process to review current Fellowship Program here.
Apply to the Fellowship Program
Submit an application during open rounds
Fellowship Post-Meeting Report
Submit post-meeting report
Upcoming Application Dates & Deadlines
Planned launch dates for future application round
Check out statistics on Fellowship participants
Terms & Conditions
More information on the program's Terms & Conditions
Regional Newcomers Fellowship Pilot
More information about the Regional Newcomers Fellowship Pilot
Fellowship Selection Criteria
More information on the Fellowship Program
ICANN Fellowship Coaching
More information about the Fellowship Coaching process
List of Fellowship Participants
See list of Fellowship Program participants for each ICANN Meeting
Fellowship Program 10 Year Survey Report [PDF, 981 KB]
Check out the results of the 10 Year Fellowship Survey with program alumni (28 June 2017)
Check out FAQs about the Fellowship Program
Fellowship Program Application Process Review
See the review of ICANN Fellowship Program application process (26 August 2016)
Community Consultation Process
More information about the community consultation process to review current Fellowship Program
For more information, please contact email@example.com.