Root Zone Key Signing Key Operator(RZ KSK Operator)
The RZ KSK Operator is responsible for:
- Generating and protecting the private component of the RZ KSK.
- Securely importing public key component from the Root Zone Zone Signing Key Operator (RZ ZSK) Operator.
- Authenticating and validating the public RZ ZSK keyset.
- Securely signing the RZ ZSK keyset.
- Securely transmitting the signed RZ ZSK key set to the RZ ZSK Operator.
- Securely exporting the RZ KSK public key components.
- Issuing an emergency key rollover within a reasonable time if any private key component associated with the zone is lost or suspected to be compromised.
The RZ KSK Operator role is performed by Public Technical Identifiers (PTI) as part of its contracts with ICANN to perform the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) functions. PTI is an affiliate of ICANN.