Structural Improvements Committee (SIC) Meeting - Minutes 23 October 2011

SIC Members: Ray Plzak – Chair; Bertrand de La Chapelle; George Sadowsky, Reinhard Scholl, and Mike Silber

Staff Attendees: Akram Atallah, Chief Operating Officer; David Olive, Vice President, Policy Development Support; Samantha Eisner, Rob Hoggarth, Olof Nordling, and Alina Syunkova

The following is a summary of discussions, decisions, and actions identified:

The meeting was called to order at 10:00 am local time in Dakar, Senegal.

  1. Minutes: The SIC approved the minutes of its previous meeting in September 2011.
  2. Thanks to Reinhard Scholl: The SIC expressed its thanks to Reinhard Scholl for his service to the committee.
  3. Board Technical Relations Working Group (TRWG) Report: The SIC approved a recommendation to the Board that the TRWG Report be posted for public comment.
    • Action:
      • Staff to forward SIC recommendation to the Board.
  4. Organizational Review Cycle Planning: The SIC reviewed an overview of the review activities ongoing throughout the organization to determine the items remaining for completion prior to the next cycle of organizational reviews required under the Bylaws. The SIC began a discussion about the process of engaging the independent reviewers and ways to make the work of the reviewers more structured to common criteria, as well as exploring other design considerations to be incorporated into the next round of reviews.
    • Action:
      • Staff to create a work plan to address the items that need to be completed in order to close out the prior organizational review cycles.
  5. ALAC Review Working Group Milestone Report: The SIC approved a motion to recommend that the Board receive and acknowledge the report on the status of the ALAC Improvements process.
    • Action:
      • Staff to forward SIC recommendation to the Board.
  6. ccNSO Review Update: The SIC received an update on the status of the review of the ccNSO and the implementation of the recommendations.
  7. ASO Review: The SIC received an update on the progress of the ASO Review and the proposed schedule for the NRO posting a report for public comment.
  8. RSSAC Review: The SIC received an update on the status of holding interviews necessary to proceed to the conclusion of the review implementation.
  9. Criteria for Review of Stakeholder Groups: Staff provided an update on the work to provide criteria for the review of Stakeholder Groups within the GNSO, with a focus on creating objective criteria to review the Stakeholder group operations and activity.
  10. Consideration of Advisory Committee Work: The SIC continued a discussion about the use of Advisory Committees to liaise with the Board on specialized topics, and engaging with external experts to assure the Board has access to information on specific topics, such as security or law enforcement work. The SIC discussed the possibility for this to be explored under discussions with the full Board regarding the role of liaisons and providing advice to the Board.
    • Action:
      • The Chair will work with Bertrand de La Chapelle to provide a plan for further discussion among the SIC and the Board.

The meeting adjourned at 11:33 am local time.