Structural Improvements Committee (SIC) Meeting - Minutes | 16 May 2013

SIC Members: Ray Plzak – Chair; Sébastien Bachollet; Judith Duavit Vazquez; Bertrand de La Chapelle; and Francisco da Silva

Other Board attendees: George Sadowsky and Jonne Soininen

Staff Attendees: David Olive – Vice President, Policy Development Support, Rob Hoggarth, Megan Bishop, Michelle Bright, Samantha Eisner, Alice Jansen, and Larisa Gurnick


The following is a summary of discussions, decisions, and actions identified:

The Meeting was called to order at 12:00 pm local time in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

  1. Minutes: The SIC approved the minutes of its prior meeting.
  2. ASO Review: The SIC Chair reported on communications with the NRO/ASO regarding the closing of the review. The ASO is in the process of preparing a report of the items that require ICANN resources or action, particularly items raised in the ICANN Board/ASO interaction at the Beijing meeting.
  3. GNSO Charter Amendment Procedure: The SIC revisited its discussion from the prior meeting regarding the Board's role in the GNSO Charter Amendment Process. The SIC focused its conversation towards the protections defined in the process in the event the Board objects to the charter changes, and the Board's accountability role in the process. The SIC requested a change to the document prior to posting, to reference the Board's recognition of the Charter, as opposed to approval. The SIC approved a recommendation that the GNSO Charter Amendment Procedure be posted for public comment.

    • Actions:
      • Staff to revise procedure in line with SIC direction.
      • Staff to post procedure for public comment.
  4. Future Organizational Reviews: The SIC Chair noted that work is still ongoing with staff on this topic. This will be on the SIC's agenda for its next meeting.
  5. NomCom Review: The SIC agreed that this item will be discussed at the SIC's meeting in Durban, South Africa.
  6. Impact of New gTLDs on ICANN Structure and Processes: The SIC continued its discussion of the impact of new gTLDs on ICANN structure and processes, and how to continue this conversation to allow for broader community discussion at the ICANN meeting in Durban, South Africa. The community has already started engaging on this topic, and it could be interesting to take stock of how this issue is being addressed. The SIC noted that this conversation is very important for inclusion with the full Board's strategic planning over the next few days at the Board workshop. The SIC agreed that it is important to have a public session on this topic in Durban, including receiving information on the strategic planning component of this work, and integrating these two conversations.

    • Action:

      • Bertrand de La Chapelle to lead, on behalf of the SIC, the effort to have this topic integrated into the strategic planning discussion.
      • Staff to meet with SIC Chair and Bertrand de La Chapelle to continue planning on this session;

The meeting was adjourned at 12:47 pm local time in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.