Structural Improvements Committee Meeting Minutes | 15 July 2009

Committee members present: Raimundo Beca, Roberto Gaetano – chair, Mike Silber, and Jean-Jacques Subrenat

Committee member not present but sends apologies: Rita Rodin Johnston

Staff Members Present: Ken Bour, Samantha Eisner, Rob Hoggarth, Marco Lorenzoni, Denise Michel, Diane Schroeder, and Amy Stathos


The following is a summary of discussion, actions taken and actions identified:

  1. Discussed and unanimously approved minutes from prior meeting.
  2. Discussed the composition of the Nominating Committee Review finalization Working Group. Unanimously approved recommending that the Board approve agreed Working Group composition.
  3. Discussed the status of the review of the ccNSO. Unanimously approved recommending that the Board accept the Terms of Reference and instruct staff to publish the request for proposal so that a candidate can be selected to perform the review as soon as possible.
  4. Discussed the systematization of the organizational review processes and unanimously approved a recommendation that the Board adopt the paper that was posted for public comment.
  5. Discussed the status of initiating the review of the ASO and received an update on the coordination with the NRO to proceed with a review process.
    • Action:
      • Staff to continue coordination to work towards initiation of review.
      • SIC members should provide input to the chair of the SIC on potential composition for the ASO Review Working Group in advance of the next SIC meeting.
  6. Discussed the best structure for moving towards the ALAC implementation phase, particularly in light of the level of available resources within the SIC and the number of other on-going reviews, including implementation.
    • Action: SIC chair to solicit committee member opinions prior to the next meeting of the SIC to identify the best way to proceed.
  7. Discussed the status of identifying scenarios for the inclusion of 0, 1 or 2 At Large voting directors on the Board.
    • Action: SIC to keep informed of the work within the Board review Working Group on this issue.
  8. Discussed and received an update on the GNSO Improvements implementation. The SIC agreed that it should recommend that the Board approve the Bylaws amendments as posted, so long as there’s no fundamentally different suggestions arising out of the public comment period and the language is deemed legally sound. Also discussed methods for selection of the three representatives of the Non Commercial Stakeholders Group (NCSG) to the GNSO council that are anticipated to be appointed by the Board as stated in the NCSG charter currently posted for public comment, and the need to ensure openness and transparency in the process. Also discussed potential for including standardized language in all Stakeholder Group charters regarding general ICANN commitments, such as openness and transparency. Unanimously approved the request from the Registries Constituency to add two days to the public comment period for the Registries Stakeholder Group petition.
    • Action:
      • Staff to provide proper language for a resolution to the Board regarding the recommendation for approval of the Bylaws revisions.
      • SIC Chair to work with committee to come to consent on other outstanding items in sufficient time to present to the Board.