Minutes - Public Participation Committee (PPC) | 14 April 2009

PPC members present: Dennis Jennings, Thomas Narten, Jean Jacques Subrenat – chair, Katim Touray, and Dave Wodelet

Staff Members Present: Samantha Eisner, Kieren McCarthy, Amy Stathos, Theresa Swinehart, and Nick Tomasso


The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:

  • Unanimously approved minutes from last meeting.
  • Reviewed public participation at the Mexico City meeting to assess areas requiring modification or improvement in preparation for ICANN’s international meeting in Sydney. Action: Staff to prepare papers to address PPC questions on future models for public sessions; staff to work to schedule public meeting with PPC at the Sydney meeting for a time with less conflict on the meeting schedule (these papers expected by late April 2009).
  • Discussed date and venue selection for upcoming ICANN International meetings. Action: Staff to provide calendar of potential scheduling conflicts for PPC to use in future long-term meeting scheduling; staff to provide papers discussing meeting objectives and formats, and discussing rationale and process for venue selection; staff also to provide proposal to PPC regarding dates for upcoming ICANN meeting for comment by committee (these papers expected by late April 2009).
  • Discussed ways to enhance remote participation. Action: Staff to produce paper on next steps in evaluating and implementing remote participation solutions (paper by end of April 2009).
  • Discussed timely publication of documents in advance of ICANN meetings. Action: Staff to provide clarification on requested timelines and draft recommendation from the BGC to the ICANN Board that critical documents be posted 15 week days in advance of the opening day of ICANN’s 35th international public meeting, to be held in Sydney.