Board Activities and Meetings
PPC Attendees: Sébastien Bachollet – Chair, Chris Disspain, and Thomas Narten
PPC Apologies: Kuo-Wei Wu
Staff Attendees: Megan Bishop, Michelle Bright, Sally Costerton, Samantha Eisner, Diane Schroeder, Nick Tomasso, and Filiz Yilmaz
The following is a summary of discussion, action taken and actions identified:
- Review of Action Items: The PPC reviewed open action items not scheduled for discussion for the meeting and agreed on status of work.
- Staff to send a report for review on the proposals for modification of the public comment processes, for discussion at the PPC meeting January 2013.
- Consolidated Meetings Strategy: The PPC discussed the Consolidated Meetings Strategy and reviewed the community discussion at its public consultation at the Toronto meeting. The PPC received a summary of the public comment on the Consolidated Meetings Strategy (CMS), noting that there was a mix of reception throughout the community. The PPC noted that the PPC will be recommending to the Board to adopt the first year of the CMS leading to a change to the rotation of geographic meetings for 2014, and that the PPC will propose and start considering a working group to be put together to address further strategy on this issue.
- Staff to provide a paper consolidating a proposed recommendation for the Board on the 2014 meeting places based on the Consolidated Meetings Strategy.
- Staff to forward recommendation to the Board once reviewed by PPC.
- Staff to circulate to the PPC the identified process for the creation of a Working Group.
- Chair of the PPC to send a first draft on the creation of the Meeting Strategy Working Group (MSWG) to be discuss by the PPC before sending to the Board.
- Latin American Meeting Location 2013: The PPC received a report on the proposed meeting location for the ICANN Public Meeting in the Latin American region in 2013 and the work in identifying the meeting location. The PPC agreed to recommend the Board approve the identified meeting location, noting that the Board Finance Committee has already considered the financial aspect of the meeting and approved a recommendation to the Board on the budget.
- Staff to forward the PPC recommendation to the Board for consideration.
- PPC Charter Review: The PPC began a discussion of its Charter review, including a potential change to the committee name to address the broader issue of stakeholder engagement. The PPC noted that any proposed Charter revision would be submitted to the Board Governance Committee for consideration.
- PPC Chair to circulate proposed Charter revisions to the entire PPC to call for discussion among the PPC members.
- PPC to review its 2013 Workplan at its next meeting.
- MyICANN.org: The PPC received a report on the status of MyICANN.org. Staff reported that MyICANN.org has been very well received, with higher usage than anticipated. A new remote participation and collaboration tool is being reviewed for roll-out in the next phase, first testing among staff prior to a roll-out to the broader community. Staff also discussed some of the additional tools and systems that are being considered as items feeding in to the full MyICANN.org once all of the phases of implementation are complete. The PPC cautioned that the development of community tools should take into consideration those who are not as comfortable with social media platforms, and allow for those who appreciate more traditional Internet interfaces. The PPC also reminded staff of the conversation regarding the need to assure that ICANN’s tools are in appropriate standards, and discussed the challenges of addressing standards that may not be keeping pace with developments in interfaces.
- Staff will circulate user statistics on MyICANN.org after the PPC meeting, demonstrating a variety of metrics.
- Staff to consider publication of statement regarding the standards to which MyICANN.org is developed and the rate of change of those standards.
- Staff to identify a future PPC meeting to discuss the issue of standards development in the tools that ICANN is releasing for public participation.
Any Other Business: The PPC noted the receipt of the report on the Document Operational Policy and that further review was needed before discussion. The PPC received a report on upcoming staffing changes affecting the support of the PPC. The PPC expressed its appreciation to Filiz Yilmaz for her service to ICANN and to the PPC and wished her well in her future endeavors.