IANA Committee (IC) Minutes | 19 June 2010

IC attendees: Harald Alvestrand – chair, Dennis Jennings, Thomas Narten, Katim Touray and Suzanne Woolf

Other Board Members Present: Kuo-Wei Wu, Steve Crocker

Staff Members Present: Doug Brent – Chief Operating Officer; Kurt Pritz – Senior Vice President, Services; Elise Gerich – VP for IANA; Kim Davies, Samantha Eisner, Jamie Hedlund, Diane Schroeder, Amy Stathos, and Leo Vegoda.


The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:

  1. Reviewed and approved the minutes from the prior IC meeting.

  2. Received update from staff of progress on action items identified at the previous meeting for which the status has changed. Staff reported that the external review of Root Zone Management Process has been posted.

    • Actions:
      • Staff to forward explanatory language relating to the posting of the external review of root glue policy to IC for review.
      • Staff to post Root Glue Policy Report and Recommendation once explanatory language is finalized.
      • Staff to complete development of strategy for posting final documents by August.
      • Staff to aim for the adoption and initial publication of documentation of Root Zone management practices by August.
      • Staff to provide IC with a strategic proposal in August with respect to further discussions on changes to the process change process.
      • Staff t o create a one page document and proposed process roadmap for IC consideration and informal Board discussion at the upcoming meeting.
      • Staff to forward a report regarding the study of DNAMES and other solutions to the IC after the review is complete.
      • Staff to provide the committee with regular updates on meeting benchmark dates for operational activities related to contract.
      • Staff to create a summary front page of action items which identify the items that relate to the upcoming meeting
  3. Elise Gerich, new VP of IANA introduced herself and outlined her background experience. Three of her many goals include enhancing relationships with NTIA, maturing business processes, and getting to know the team and looking to see if it is sized for all the new projects coming up.

  4. Received update on DNNSEC and key signing ceremony. Staff reported that the event in Virginia went extremely well and was conducted in a very professional manner. DNSSEC in the root zone project is on track. One remaining task is to conduct KSK ceremony on West coast in July. It was reported that requests for DNNSEC DS records to be added to the root zone have already been received.

    • Action:
      • Staff to conduct KSK ceremony on West Coat by 17 July.
  5. Staff reported that the Risk Committee has agreed to take on the task of assessing potential difficulties that RIRs may face and how those issues could affect ICANN.

    • Action: Risk Committee to address and staff to report to IC.
  6. Received briefing on operations work regarding future increases of requests that will accompany launch of new gTLD program. Staff reported that the new gTLD program will not require delegation evaluation by the IANA Department staff, rather the main scaling challenge will be ongoing operational scaling. Staff further reported that the IANA function focus is to have automation software in place before new gTLD deployment.

  7. Staff provided a brief update on the issues that arose with expiration of DNSSEC signature of dot-ARPA.

  8. Staff reported on the process and communications surrounding the posting of documents relating to the IANA function operations.

  9. Staff briefed the committee on the communication process surrounding the adding of Arabic IDNs to the root.