IANA Committee (IC) Minutes 10 August 2010

IC attendees: Harald Alvestrand – chair, Dennis Jennings, Ku-Wei-Wu and Suzanne Woolf

Apologies: Thomas Narten and Katim Touray

Staff Members Present: Elise Gerich – VP, IANA; Joe Abley, Michelle Cotton, Kim Davies, Barbara Roseman, Diane Schroeder, Amy Stathos, and Leo Vegoda.

The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:

  1. Minutes: Reviewed and approved the minutes from the prior IC meeting,
  2. Action Items: Received update from staff of progress on action items identified at the previous meeting, including introduction to new summary document indicating which items are ongoing and which have been completed.
    • Action:
      • Staff to continue updating the newly formatted action item summary for each meeting.
  3. DNSSEC Update: Staff provided an overview of the activities taken place over the past two months, including reference to the two key signing ceremonies, the two secure facilities that are fully online and the alarm systems, and tests conducted revealing no reported problems. Staff further reported that the root-dnssec.org website is still being served, the DPSs and the DNSSEC practice policy statements are stored in IANA and VeriSign web pages and consultations are ongoing relating to additional document publication. Finally there was an update regarding discussions about IN-ADDR.ARPA.
    • Actions:
      • Staff to provide analysis of risks and mitigation of risks in relation to operational role in relation to DNSSEC
      • Staff to provide a report on DNSSEC operations in TLDs and what, if any, is ICANN’s role.
  4. Protocol Parameters: Staff gave an overview presentation of the protocol parameters area that the IANA department manages, including a brief discussion of what it is that the department does in terms of maintaining registries and the fact that the work is done for the public good. The presentation also described the resources used to perform this part of the IANA functions, the customer service aspect of it, as well as identified trends in terms of volume of requests and risks. Staff also identified current projects and provided examples of the most active registries maintained.
    • Actions:
      • Staff to determine if the presentation can be posted on the website in form useful and easy to understand for Internet users.
      • Staff to look at monthly IETF SLA reports as they might feed into receiving structured feedback.
  5. Process Change Process: Staff presented a written document plus a flow chart, which distinguishes between different types of change requests and different paths that the various types of change requests take, including policy changes, contract changes, and other changes.
    • Actions:
      • Staff to explore decision matrix, including conditions, and to include at least one additional path
      • Staff to develop an example process change to be sent to the committee, not waiting for next IC meeting.
  6. IPv4 availability: Staff reported that the risk committee asked the IANA functions staff to expand previous work to include likelihood and impacts of risks.
    • Action: Staff to work with Risk Committee as requested and keep IC informed.
  7. Delegation and Re-delegation process: The Chair reported on his paper relating to overseeing the delegation and re-delegation process and recommended that it be sent to the Board. The IC then discussed the issues surrounding delegations and redelegations and certain aspects relating to community support.
    • Actions:
      • Staff to draft paper providing a description of where things stand and various options for the IC consideration and discussion.
      • IC to review and discuss online upon receipt of staff report.
  8. Meeting Schedule: The IC discussed schedule of committee meetings between now and the AGM.
    • Action:
      • Staff to distribute poll to select time and date for next meeting.