en

Board Activities and Meetings

View records of actions and decisions made by the ICANN Board from recent activities and meetings.

Minutes | Board Technical Committee (BTC) Meeting | 23 November 2021

Board Member and Liaison Attendees: Harald Alvestrand, Alan Barrett, Edmon Chung, James Galvin, Akinori Maemura, Kaveh Ranjbar (Chair), Patricio Poblete, and Katrina Sataki.

Other Board Members Present: Avri Doria and Tripti Sinha.

ICANN Organization Attendees: Adiel Akplogan (Vice President for Technical Engagement), Jennifer Bryce (Project Manager), Franco Carrasco (Board Operations Specialist), Steve Conte (Director, IROS Operations), Kim Davies (VP, IANA Services), Matt Larson (VP, Research), Wendy Profit (Board Operations Senior Manager), Erika Randall (Associate General Counsel), Ashwin Rangan (SVP, Engineering & Chief Information Officer), Carlos Reyes (Strategic Policy Planning Director - RSSAC & ASO Support), and Sarah Zagha (Counsel).

Invited Guest: Matthew Thomas (Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC) Name Collision Analysis Project (NCAP) Working Party (WP) chair) – only present for agenda item no. 1.


The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken, and actions identified:

  1. BTC Session with the Name Collision Analysis Project (NCAP) DG Admin Co-Chairs: Progress on Study 2 – The Committee received an update on the NCAP work from Matt Thomas, one of the co-chairs of the NCAP discussion group. He noted that Study 2 is progressing well and its deliverables are on target for the desired deadline of June 2022. He also noted that a large portion of the group's efforts is going towards work aimed at answering the Board's questions, and that work on proposed name collision analysis has commenced.

    Matthew Thomas left the meeting following the NCAP update.

  2. Action Items Review – The Committee Chair established the agenda for the meeting. Updates to three open action items were given as noted below. A Committee member also noted a concern about ensuring that new Board members have access to briefing materials so that all members have access to information under discussion by the Committee.

    • The action item regarding Harald Alvestrand to continue gathering information and input from the IETF proceeding regarding the reserved private use of TLDs remains open will be reclassified on the agenda to be discussed as part of "Updated from Technical Liaisons" as needed.
    • The action item regarding a scoping document on alternative roots by Rafael Lito Ibarra and Tripti Sinha has been completed and shared with the Committee. It was noted that OCTO is working on a paper regarding alternate roots and will keep the Committee abreast of its development and next steps.
    • The action item comparing SSAC's security threat work with the Committee's work is in progress and on track for completion.
  3. Presentation of IMRS Cluster Paper – The Committee was provided with a presentation on the IMRS Cluster Paper by the SVP of Engineering & Chief Information Officer. He noted that four IMRS clusters are being proposed and a deployment window of three calendar years has been established. The locations of the clusters will be as follows: two in Africa, one in Asia, and one in Europe. It was noted that the IMRS Cluster Paper has been presented to the Executive team, with the action item of further work on the financial aspects of this project. An additional presentation to the Committee will be given once the financials have been worked out.
  4. RZERC-003 Implementation by IANA – The Committee was provided with an update on RZERC-003 and implementing ZONEMD as a technology in the root zone by the VP of IANA Services. The Committee was informed that Verisign requested that RZERC consider implementing ZONEMD in the root zone by April or June of 2022, and that RZERC has issued a set of four recommendations in support of implementation within the RZERC003 document. The Committee was asked to consider these recommendations.

    • Action Item: The Committee Chair to work with the Board Operations Team to circulate the RZERC003 document to the Committee to determine whether additional information is needed before discussing with the full ICANN Board.
  5. Priority Project Updates – The Committee received an update on the following projects:

    • Root Zone Management Study: ICANN org members reported that the study is underway. The contractor engaged for this work has delivered the first draft of the study.
    • IMRS Strategy: ICANN org members reported that OCTO continues to revise the IMRS strategy, OCTO-16. The rewrite focuses on points raised during the Public Comment period.
    • Root Server System Governance Working Group (RSS-GWG): ICANN org members supporting the RSS-GWG gave a high-level update on the status of the work. It was noted that RSSAC058 and RSSAC059 have been published. The ICANN Board reviewed the recommendations within RSSAC059, accepted Resolutions 1 and 2, and will consider Recommendations 3 and 4 when the Board takes next steps regarding Recommendation 2 and 3 outlined in RSSAC038.
  6. Updates from Technical Liaisons – The Committee received an update from the following Board Technical Liaisons:

    • SSAC (James Galvin): The Committee was introduced to six different topics of work that the SSAC is currently in the process of prioritizing as its suggested work for 2022: (1) evolution of DNS resolution; (2) DNSSEC assessment; (3) namespace expansion; (4) registrar name management; (5) DNSSEC DS automation; and (6) implication of forced removal of TLD.
    • RSSAC (Kaveh Ranjbar): No significant updates to report, other than the next RSSAC meeting will take place on 07 December 2021.
    • Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) (Harald Alvestrand): The IETF Liaison noted that there were no significant updates to report, but observed that within the IETF context, the general assumption is that any transaction dealing with the DNS should be encrypted when possible and authenticated if feasible, above and beyond what DNSSEC provides.
  7. Any Other Business The Committee Chair recommended that the Board revisit the timing of future Committee meetings to be cognizant of the attendees' geographic locations.

    • Action Item: The Committee Chair to work with the Board Operations Team before the next BTC meeting in January 2022 to find an alternative time for future meetings.

The Chair called the meeting to a close.

Published on 04 February 2022